92 Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 Won't Start

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
jcook1989
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 Won't Start

Having some issues with my 92 with the 4.0L.

I turn the key and the starter makes a some struggling noises but won't turn the engine over. The starter is good. I've had it tested. The battery is good. I just bought it 3 days ago and have since had it tested to make sure it wasn't bad. I replaced the battery cables, grounds and hot wires to the starter. All the fuses are good and I'm assuming the relay is good because it does make some noise and seems like it's getting some power.

I'm out of ideas and not sure where to go from here. It seems like the starter doesn't have enough juice to turn the motor over but I'm not sure where else to check for poor connections.

It runs fine when I have been able to get it to start but its just doesn't want to turn over anymore. Thanks for any help I can get.

jcook1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the starter mounting surface is clean. No grease or junk on the bellhousing. You replaced the positive cabe to the starter or just the end? You said you had the starter tested, was it load tested? Does it ever crank over normally or always struggle?
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
jcook1989
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced the whole positive cable from the battery to the starter. Don't think the starter was load tested and I've been reading on here that it could still be the starter but I'd like to eliminate any other possibilities before I spend the cash on a new one. It started this crappy cranking thing about a week a go and got progressively worse until now it doesn't start at all.
jcook1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.