92 Qtec Cowl Rubber HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 Qtec Cowl Rubber HELP

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
madoats
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 Qtec Cowl Rubber HELP

I have read every thread I can find on the matter and I'm stuck. I do as much of my own repair as I can, and this is by far the hardest task I've taken on to date. I bought the Qtec cowl rubber without looking at the forum first
I installed it no problem, looks great.....but my windshield is 3 inches away from my roll cage (I think you call em spreader bars). I read someone used ratchet straps to get them closer together, someone else loosened some bolts by the hinges but I have no clue which ones! Anyone have experience with this?!?!
Thanks in advance!

Unread 08-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Let it sit out in the sun with the windshield down till that seal gets hot and softens up then put the windshield up and it should squish and let it come back further.
If you need to use the ratchet strap, be careful you don't bend the windshield and crack the glass.

If it still wont go, leave the spreader bars off and you can run with your windshield down easily without having to disassemble it every time.

Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would use the sun and/or a hair dryer on it first to soften it up, then try compressing it. The bolts that are used to adjust the rake of the windshield are the three bolts from the top part of the hinge, But, if you use those before compressing the gasket, that will just raise the frame up which can be an issue for fitting a hardtop on.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used a ratchet strap on the two I did and it worked fine. I did not bend the windshield frame or crack the windshield. Just go slow, let it sit and then move it again, repeat until you are close enough to begin the bolts. Continue the process until you get everything tight. Just take it slow and give the seal time to compress. Heating it up will definitely help speed up the process.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Rwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

were did you attach the ratchet strap?
Rwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
madoats
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler View Post
Someone attached to the little metal u bar thing at the top center of the windshield frame. The PO removed mine for huge aftermarket speakers so, I do not know if that will work.

Thank you for the advice everyone! She's sitting out in the sun. Fingers crossed. Need to get this project done ASAP.
Unread 08-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
Rwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem. I installed a new windshield cowl rubber about 2 years ago and it still won't let the windshield come all the way back. I call Morris 4x4 (were I purchase it) they said all after market rubber is harder than OEM. I had to take 3" longer bolts to start pulling it in, then 2", then 1", then OEM. It left a gap between the front corners of my hard top and doors, every slight but it's there.
Unread 08-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler
I used the middle footman loop.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
madoats
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had no problems once I left it out in the sun. It was 101 here so maybe that helped. I left the windshield down with the cowl rubber attached for a couple hours. Then at about 3 pm, I put the ratchet strap lengthwise across the windshield and back behind the roll bars behind the seats. I dont have a frontman loop so I had to watch it to make sure it didn't slip off the windshield frame. I just went slow and steady. It came all the way together and I put all the bolts in. I have had to tighten them since then.

Last edited by madoats; 08-10-2015 at 09:27 AM..
madoats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Rwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Can the roll bar move if you use it to winch the windshield?
Unread 08-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler
Can the roll bar move if you use it to winch the windshield?
What do you mean?

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
Unread 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Rwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When your winching the windshield with the roll bar, can the roll bar move? Is it welded or bolted down? The reason I ask this question. If you pull the windshield all the way to the roll bar mount and the roll bar doesn't move, why is there a gap at the top of the doors/hardtop? It seems to me that the windshield would be back in it's original position (as new), even if the cowl rubber is to hard, the top of the windshield would be in it's original position?
Unread 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
When your winching the windshield with the roll bar, can the roll bar move? Is it welded or bolted down? The reason I ask this question. If you pull the windshield all the way to the roll bar mount and the roll bar doesn't move, why is there a gap at the top of the doors/hardtop? It seems to me that the windshield would be back in it's original position (as new), even if the cowl rubber is to hard, the top of the windshield would be in it's original position?
Yes, the roll bar ends up there move. They have a set screw on them for adjusting the windshield rake when switching tops and doors around.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
Rwrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mike Romain,
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. It was very hard for me to pull the windshield up to the roll bar. The rubber was way to hard, still hard. I had to use long bolts, shorter bolts then shorter bolts then OEM. I was really afraid of breaking my windshield. But I hate the fact I have a small gap between the hard top and the top front corner of my doors. My jeep has always been tight as a drum. It seems like everything I buy aftermarket doesn't quite fit.
Unread 08-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mike Romain,
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. It was very hard for me to pull the windshield up to the roll bar. The rubber was way to hard, still hard. I had to use long bolts, shorter bolts then shorter bolts then OEM. I was really afraid of breaking my windshield. But I hate the fact I have a small gap between the hard top and the top front corner of my doors. My jeep has always been tight as a drum. It seems like everything I buy aftermarket doesn't quite fit.
If you didn't move the spreader bars ( the bars over your doors) then your hardtop should still fit correctly as before the new seal. Do you have any pics?

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.