92 4 cyl with some engine trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 4 cyl with some engine trouble

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

92 4 cyl with some engine trouble

Ok so fo a week now i believed my wrangler had no 4 wheel. 3 days ago i thought i had 4 low but no High. no 4 wheel light on the dashm
. I took the wrangler out and in mud the 4 wheel light came on. I went through sme bumper high mud.
on the way home at freeway peeds i noticed some bogging down and the engine started sputtering. first at 60 in fight and then 40 in 4th until i got her off the main rd and I could do 20 if lucky.
i shut her off 3 times each time it qould clear up temporarily and then start cutting off again. is this fuel delivery issues , ignition or electrical. is there a computer on board. if so can i zero it out by remvonf the ba fior while??

Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

"i shut her off 3 times each time it qould clear up temporarily and then start cutting off again. is this fuel delivery issues , ignition or electrical. is there a computer on board. if so can i zero it out by remvonf the ba fior while?? "

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail schraeder valve. This could easily be a fuel delivery issue or clogged fuel filter. Until this is checked, we will never know. Any check engine codes?

"if so can i zero it out by remvonf the ba fior while" Huh? If you are asking that if you were to remove the battery cables and if it will correct your problem, then NO, it won't.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

I will definetly try changing the fuel filter this weekend. I got all that mud on herand cant even show her off to my work buddies this week.

Any hint on where the fuel pump is located.
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaymendez View Post
I will definitely try changing the fuel filter this weekend. I got all that mud on herand cant even show her off to my work buddies this week.

Any hint on where the fuel pump is located.
It is in the fuel tank. So you want to make sure by checking the pressure at the rail and the condition of the fuel supply/return lines before committing to doing the work required to replace the fuel pump.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

OK so I got home early today and decided to see what the pressure was like at the schrader valve. I dont have a pressure tester but I remember that the fuel use to shoot pretty far for a while. Well i realized the pressure wasnt what I remembered. I went toward the filter to see if it was clogged and found that the previous owner just replaced the filter but used a straight hose on the incomming side.
This looks like it should be a 90 degree hose so it make s the straight hose kink.
I hope this is the problem.
If not its definetly 1 stone that had to be turned.

Pump should be fine because I release the pressure at the line and she will still crank right up.
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

Ok so not the fuel filter. I just replaced it and had no luck. Jeep started right up and reved nicely .
I took her out for a spin. I tried flooring it and although hesitant it started reving up. Took her 3 blocks and she started sputtering. 20 mph 10mph and finnaly a crawl 3 more blocks till I got home. the entire time I was pumping the gas in order to find a sweet spot which would allow me to ride home.

I pulled into the driveway and caught a view of thick white smoke.
i backed her down incase of fire and look around. The smoke was comming from either the muffler or the catalytic converter.
Does this mean that either is clogged.
I tried removing the muffler clapms and noticed that the joint welds from the muffler body to the extensions was not there. I could move the pipe around in the muffler.

I will be pulling the muffler and if persistant the cat to see if the jeep runs well without either. My question is , Am I deducting correctly. A hot cat could be a clogged one. Could I have clogged it with mud by shutting off the jeep while stuck in the mud. And if so why is it not noticeable when cold, yet will not move when hot.
Am I off track with thinking the cat or muffler are to blame.?
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

mine did the same thing, it was the injectors
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

. WOuld there be something mechanically wroong with the injectors that I could visually inspect. .
I owe all this to crap gas that I should have drained but I though I could just fill with fuel and burn.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are avoiding doing it right. You can rent the fuel pressure guage and gent your money back when you return it from your local parts place. Rent it and run it to see if you have a fuel issue. You could be sucking up crap in your tank or maybe have water in the tank. First thing to do though is check the rail pressure as Idaholtby suggested.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #10
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

iwill test the fuel pressure tommorow , but After releasing pressure from the cat . STill backfiring. Not wanting to run after getting warm.
No signs of leaking water from the head.
SO pull the plugs, test fopr fuel pressure and then maybe swap out a few injectors.
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wait. You said after it gets warm. Does your Jeep run fine until it warms up? Its a very imprtant question. If it runs fine when cold then starts missing after its warm its more than likely a sensor issue..
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

I have a buddy with a scanner commming by today. I will check and see what codes i get.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.