'92 4.0L misfiring badly when clutch is depressed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '92 4.0L misfiring badly when clutch is depressed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
wellsdave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

'92 4.0L misfiring badly when clutch is depressed

I just finished putting in a new clutch on my '92 Jeep wrangler YJ. It's a 4.0L with a 5 speed manual tranny. Ran it around the block the first time and all was good. Ran it around the block a second time and it started misfiring badly. Stopped, took it out of gear and released the clutch pedal and the mis-firing stopped and the idle smoothed out. Pushed the clutch pedal back in and it started mis-firing badly. Also, installed (prior) new plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Idles great! revving it up w/o clutch disengaged sounds great. With clutch pedal in hard to keep running/mis-firing.
Any ideas?
Help.....

wellsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsdave View Post
I just finished putting in a new clutch on my '92 Jeep wrangler YJ. It's a 4.0L with a 5 speed manual tranny. Ran it around the block the first time and all was good. Ran it around the block a second time and it started misfiring badly. Stopped, took it out of gear and released the clutch pedal and the mis-firing stopped and the idle smoothed out. Pushed the clutch pedal back in and it started mis-firing badly. Also, installed (prior) new plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Idles great! revving it up w/o clutch disengaged sounds great. With clutch pedal in hard to keep running/mis-firing.
Any ideas?
Help.....
Check your wiring for your O2 sensor OR any wiring that travels anywhere near your clutch linkage or exhaust manifold like possibly the VSS wiring.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 the O2 sensor and VSS! Does it change as the engine warms up? When it is cold it doesn't use the O2 sensor so if your drive around the block is enough to let it warm up and go into closed loop and use the O2 sensor and the syptoms change then definitely the O2. The VSS is pretty consistent and it could be it shorting.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.