91yj 5.3 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91yj 5.3 swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
myke88

91yj 5.3 swap

I bought this jeep last year, I've had a blast wheeling it but it always lacked power on the street. The PO said the motor was a 4.6L but to me it didn't feel like it, so I decided it was time for some chevy love. I've been collecting parts for a few months now, and just this weekend I decided I had enough to begin the swap. I am using Advance Adapters headers and motor mounts with the novak gmax15 adapter, and pilot bearing to keep the ax15.

motor specs:
LM7 5.3L vortec
stock bottom end with arp rod bolts, all new gaskets, bearings, and rings
comp cam .581/.581 224/224 114LSA
LS1 806 heads, ported and polished
LS7 lifters
hardened pushrods 7.350"
patriot dual gold valve springs with titanium retainers
arp flywheel and pressure plate bolts
168 tooth billet flywheel

I am doing all this myself at the auto hobby shop on Camp Pendleton, so I'm only able to work on it 8 hrs/day on the weekends, and what ever time I have left after work on weekdays. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this month, but we'll see how that goes....and sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures

here's a pre-build pic, the last one I have of it running. this was up in big bear back in november:

motor:

and here is the start of the swap:

pulled the front clip and got to work pulling the 4.0

gmax15 adapter on

old motor mounts gone and ground smooth, GM bellhousing on

I dropped the tranny/tcase today, it was difficult to line the trans input up to the pilot bearing, even without a clutch so I'm going to drop it in as one piece. If ya'll wanna see any more let me know and I'll keep the thread updated.

myke88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

always interested in seeing v8 swaps... keep it coming.

good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Sprungover

Keep the pics coming. I'm doing the same swap soon.
Sprungover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
myke88

small update, I found out that the bell housing was actually for a 153 tooth flywheel... I have a 168 tooth. So instead of trying to find one I just ordered a brand new one.

For anyone trying to use a manual trans with a chevy motor, the easy way to tell if the bell housing is for a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel is by the starter boss, which is flush with the rest of the bell housing on the 153 tooth version. On the 168 tooth it sticks out about an inch or so. The bell housing I bought is casting number 3899621, which has the 4 5/8" bore I needed to fit the gmax adapter.

I also cut down the jeep harness last night, I trying to keep all the body/lighting wiring intact, as well as the starter, charging system, and the oil/water temp gauges. I will eventually replace all the gauges with autometer units, but for now to save money I will keep the speedo, oil psi, fuel, water temp, and voltmeter.

heres the harness, kind of hard to see in the box I know but its nothing exciting.

and here's the wiring I cut out. basically all the engine sensors, and injectors.

I will hopefully get the engine mated to the tranny tomorrow and maybe have the motor mounts welded in if there's time. sucks working in a place that's only open 8hrs/day 5 days a week.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool build! Your finish time might be a little agressive! My 5.7 swap took me a couple months. I was doing it by myself, 4-5 days a week. I did an 8.8 swap at the same time. A lot of the time I was waiting on parts to be shipped to Me. I ran into alot of little stuff that had to be ordered, but didnt know it till I needed it. Have fun, dont cut any corners! Keep us up to date.
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
myke88

Got the motor dropped in today and the mounts baked in . Looks like there wont be any clearance issues either. The power steering pump is a little close but it should be fine, the hoses are going to be moved and routed under the steering shaft. Firewall clearance is about 2.5", should be enough. I wanted the motor placed as far back as possible for weight distribution. The transmission is only moved up about 3/4" from where it was previously. Gonna have to have the rear drive shaft extended.... heres the pics

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
myke88

Got the fuel lines run, -6 AN through a corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator, all the way to the fuel rail. Jumped the fuel pump and didn't find any leaks, the stock yj pump is putting about 55 psi at the fuel rail, so it might be sufficient for the vortec. If not I have a walbro standing by, I'm just interested to see how the stock pump does.

Also installed 2/3 of the wiring, all except the front harness for the headlights. Everything still works though radio, wipers, blinkers, hazards, brake lights, and running lights, which doesn't sound like much but this was my first wiring harness cut/mod I've done so I'm glad to see I didn't mess anything up.

Forgot to take pics, but I'll get some this week. I'm gonna have the engine harness plugged in and hooked up pretty soon, along with a starter. Then all I'll need for a test start is the pcm flashed and vacuum/pcv lines run.

Also forgot to mention, the power steering pump lines are a perfect fit, the high pressure side threaded in just fine, had to bend the line but that was it. The low pressure has to be extended but the hose is the right size. Thank you GM and Chrysler!!
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
myke88

ITS ALIVE!!!! I just fired it up for the first time tonight, there's still a few small things to iron out, but I should be driving it this weekend. I'll get some pics and maybe a video or two soon.
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Impressively done in very short order!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
MI_JEEPER
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great job!! I'd really like to see a video of it!
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Very impressed!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
myke88

These are the pics I have from last week after I put the front clip back on. I'm about to go to the shop once they open and hopefully I'll be driving her home today

I'll try to get a video today, it's hard to remember though being so excited to have it running
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

looks real good. I like the idea of the 5.3 with the AX15.
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
snail81
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey how does that camshaft sound? Im running the comp cams 0.607 0.614 219 227. Im a few weeks out from starting mine for the first time. Really ready to run this thing
snail81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.