I bought this jeep last year, I've had a blast wheeling it but it always lacked power on the street. The PO said the motor was a 4.6L but to me it didn't feel like it, so I decided it was time for some chevy love. I've been collecting parts for a few months now, and just this weekend I decided I had enough to begin the swap. I am using Advance Adapters headers and motor mounts with the novak gmax15 adapter, and pilot bearing to keep the ax15.
LM7 5.3L vortec
stock bottom end with arp rod bolts, all new gaskets, bearings, and rings
comp cam .581/.581 224/224 114LSA
LS1 806 heads, ported and polished
hardened pushrods 7.350"
patriot dual gold valve springs with titanium retainers
arp flywheel and pressure plate bolts
168 tooth billet flywheel
I am doing all this myself at the auto hobby shop on Camp Pendleton, so I'm only able to work on it 8 hrs/day on the weekends, and what ever time I have left after work on weekdays. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this month, but we'll see how that goes....and sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures
here's a pre-build pic, the last one I have of it running. this was up in big bear back in november:
and here is the start of the swap:
pulled the front clip and got to work pulling the 4.0
gmax15 adapter on
old motor mounts gone and ground smooth, GM bellhousing on
I dropped the tranny/tcase today, it was difficult to line the trans input up to the pilot bearing, even without a clutch so I'm going to drop it in as one piece. If ya'll wanna see any more let me know and I'll keep the thread updated.
small update, I found out that the bell housing was actually for a 153 tooth flywheel... I have a 168 tooth. So instead of trying to find one I just ordered a brand new one.
For anyone trying to use a manual trans with a chevy motor, the easy way to tell if the bell housing is for a 153 or 168 tooth flywheel is by the starter boss, which is flush with the rest of the bell housing on the 153 tooth version. On the 168 tooth it sticks out about an inch or so. The bell housing I bought is casting number 3899621, which has the 4 5/8" bore I needed to fit the gmax adapter.
I also cut down the jeep harness last night, I trying to keep all the body/lighting wiring intact, as well as the starter, charging system, and the oil/water temp gauges. I will eventually replace all the gauges with autometer units, but for now to save money I will keep the speedo, oil psi, fuel, water temp, and voltmeter.
heres the harness, kind of hard to see in the box I know but its nothing exciting.
and here's the wiring I cut out. basically all the engine sensors, and injectors.
I will hopefully get the engine mated to the tranny tomorrow and maybe have the motor mounts welded in if there's time. sucks working in a place that's only open 8hrs/day 5 days a week.
Cool build! Your finish time might be a little agressive! My 5.7 swap took me a couple months. I was doing it by myself, 4-5 days a week. I did an 8.8 swap at the same time. A lot of the time I was waiting on parts to be shipped to Me. I ran into alot of little stuff that had to be ordered, but didnt know it till I needed it. Have fun, dont cut any corners! Keep us up to date.
Got the motor dropped in today and the mounts baked in . Looks like there wont be any clearance issues either. The power steering pump is a little close but it should be fine, the hoses are going to be moved and routed under the steering shaft. Firewall clearance is about 2.5", should be enough. I wanted the motor placed as far back as possible for weight distribution. The transmission is only moved up about 3/4" from where it was previously. Gonna have to have the rear drive shaft extended.... heres the pics
Got the fuel lines run, -6 AN through a corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator, all the way to the fuel rail. Jumped the fuel pump and didn't find any leaks, the stock yj pump is putting about 55 psi at the fuel rail, so it might be sufficient for the vortec. If not I have a walbro standing by, I'm just interested to see how the stock pump does.
Also installed 2/3 of the wiring, all except the front harness for the headlights. Everything still works though radio, wipers, blinkers, hazards, brake lights, and running lights, which doesn't sound like much but this was my first wiring harness cut/mod I've done so I'm glad to see I didn't mess anything up.
Forgot to take pics, but I'll get some this week. I'm gonna have the engine harness plugged in and hooked up pretty soon, along with a starter. Then all I'll need for a test start is the pcm flashed and vacuum/pcv lines run.
Also forgot to mention, the power steering pump lines are a perfect fit, the high pressure side threaded in just fine, had to bend the line but that was it. The low pressure has to be extended but the hose is the right size. Thank you GM and Chrysler!!