911 Help! fuel pumps keep going out - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 911 Help! fuel pumps keep going out

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The wiring causes a voltage drop. Bad wiring causes a BIGGER voltage drop. When voltage decreases current increases. A bad connection will cause more current and wires don't like too much current. A motor is nothing more than a bunch of wire. Look at what's under the tape and see what you are dealing with. After you deal with the connection issue I would ground for the fuel pump is ridiculously long as the have said. I would take the ground wire and cut it a few feet in front of the tank and put an islet on it and ground it right to the frame in the rear.

To check your voltage at the pump in the rear you can jumper pin 30/87 in the fuel pump relay socket. That will give you constant power and measure the voltage at the pump.

The pumps you are getting from the auto parts store are probably the airtech junk. You can search the forum fur people that have had the issues with them just like you are.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I'm going to do first is un wrap the tape and see what's going with that.
Moabjeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also what fuel pump should I get? as soon as I get this figured out...
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

snap a picture of whats under the electrical tape. If I had to guess, you're just going to find one of these protected by the tape:

mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mike, is that going to be a bad thing? If so whats the fix?
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #21
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The low quality ones are very easy to screw up and hard to inspect because of the rubber coverings. I had a box of them from autozone that I threw away because the metal would would crumble when crimped on (terrible quality). I use the high quality ones in the laboratory with good success, but the techs won't use them for flight equipment because failure is not an option.

If you find a solder joint instead of this type of crimp connection, remove it right away then look for more of them elsewhere because they will certainly fail in the future.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I tried posting pics from my phone but they are to big it says, anyways there is one wire the Orange with black stripe has a blue wire connector on it, looks like it broke off pretty close to where it goes into the male end of the harness...

Last edited by Moabjeep77; 08-29-2014 at 12:27 AM..
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #23
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What should I do? New weather pack connectors? And cut and mount ground wire near the tank some where
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #24
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabjeep77 View Post
What should I do? New weather pack connectors? And cut and mount ground wire near the tank some where
I would change the connectors, but leave the ground as close to the battery as possible.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I'll try that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.