911 Help! fuel pumps keep going out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 911 Help! fuel pumps keep going out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

911 Help! fuel pumps keep going out

1990 jeep yj 2.5L TBI
For some reason my fuel pumps keep going out....
I think my wiring might be bad that goes to the pump where the two connectors meet.
My question is can I cut the old connectors out and splice in a new weather pack connector? also where is the pump grounded to? im lost I cant figure this out.

Moabjeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How do you know the fuel pumps are going out instead of the fuel pressure regulator malfunctioning? What are the symptoms? blowing fuses or don't hear the fuel pump turn on with the ignition key? something else?
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

where the pump wires connect to the wires that run along the frame or whatever there is electrical tape holding it together, there is a weird humming, whining noise coming from the tank. fuses are fine, I can hear the pump turn on when the ignition is turned on. Wheer is the fuel pressure regulator?
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

haha electrical tape is never a good sign. I'm not sure about the humming sound, the pump should make some noise though.

If you can get to autozone, borrow their fuel pressure gauge. It's free to borrow but you have to leave a deposit. It just plugs into the shrader valve on your fuel rail. This will at least let you know if the pump is bringing you up to the proper pressure. Should be 31-32 psi at idle.

Does the jeep run rough/sputter or not start at all? Also, I assume you replaced the fuel filter with the new pump?
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

runs rough, starts just fine, but when driving it it sputters and barley wants to go....this is like the third fuel pump to go out.
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ah yeah. get the pressure gauge from autozone so you can run a couple more tests, should take about 10 minutes.

With the pressure gauge plugged in turn the ignition to on but don't start the jeep. Let us know what the pressure is. Then start the jeep and let it idle, let us know what this pressure is. Next pull the vacuum line off from the fuel pressure regulator, let us know what the pressure is. Reconnect the vacuum line, let us know the pressure. Then turn the jeep off and wait for 30 minutes, let us know what this pressure is. Next turn the jeep back on and get the pressure at high rpms.

This will help diagnose the problem.
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

funny thing is when the new pumps were put in the jeep would run fine for a few months then all of a sudden they go bad??? where is the fuel pressure regulator?
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully this is in the same place for the 2.5L. The fuel rail is shown in the diagram. It is on the left side of the valve cover and runs parallel to the valve cover.

You'll disconnect that vacuum hose that is labeled for part of the test.
fpr.jpg

Unread 08-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
Also, I assume you replaced the fuel filter with the new pump?
^^ Important question that hasn't been answered.

Also, while you're hitting the parts store for the pressure gauge, grab a Chiltons or Haynes manual. They're invaluable.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Moabjeep77
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes fuel filter is new. I also have manual to.
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Official Shop Manual >> Chilton's Manual >> Haynes Manual

(that's "much much greater than", not an arrow pointing to the better one...). Buy the official manual if you can. Its like a million pages long.
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
Official Shop Manual >> Chilton's Manual >> Haynes Manual

(that's "much much greater than", not an arrow pointing to the better one...). Buy the official manual if you can.
Yeah for sure, I was just suggesting that to answer questions like "Where is the pressure regulator?" without having to wait for a forum response.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pressure regulator is built into the throttle body. The regulator cant cause a pump to fail. Bad wiring is the likely issue. For the info on the TB:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...ocess-1293442/

I thought this might interest you:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-swap-1088945/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It may really be an electrical issue causing the pumps to fail, but I wouldn't keep putting pumps in until checking the fuel pressure. If there is good pressure, then something else is causing rough running. There are a lot of possible causes for those symptoms.
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

First off I would find out what is under the tape and verify that plug is good or change it out like you mentioned. The pump ground is on the parking brake frame. Low power can make a brand new pump turn, but get a little wear on the brushes and you can have issues. It can also arc brushes causing failure.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.