91 YJ stroker overfueling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ stroker overfueling

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 YJ stroker overfueling

I recently installed a 4.7L stroker (4.0L block) in my 91 wrangler. It runs very rough at low rpms with little power and backfires through the intake. I have replaced the temp censors in the intake and thermostat housing, also replaced IAC, TPS, Map censor, and fuel pressure regulator. Nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

JimG91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Miss a tooth on the timing chain? Did you do the double check count of the 15 pins between the dots on the gears?

Low vacuum and low compression are usually the result of that, so a quick test of those might help narrow it down some.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Timing set was installed by the manufacturer (ATK performance Engines), but thanks I will check. A friend sugested advancing the cam timing by one tooth.
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Moving your timing chain by a whole tooth sounds like way too much to me. I wouldn't do it. When engine builders advance or retard cam timing it's only a few degrees. One tooth is more than a few degrees. Have you checked your ignition timing? Have you checked your crank sensor? What about your O2 sensor? Where is your Fuel pressure at?
JMickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ignition timing is correct, fuel pressure is correct, all sensors have been replaced. Cam timing was correct (15 pins between the marks), I moved it 1 tooth and it seemed to help. It runs much better, but still not right. I will call the engine builder Monday.
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

apparently moving the cam timing is not a good idea, it seems to run better at an idle but has no power when under a load. I changed it back to where it should be. I'm thinking that a larger throttle body might help?
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If it were mine, I would be talking to the engine builder about it. Backfiring out the intake isn't a good thing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I tried, still waiting for them to call me back. I've called them several times. I won't recomend buying anything from them (ATK high performance engines). It was purchased through Summit Racing, the website says it will work in a '91 wrangler, but when I talked to them today they say it needs the computer re-programed, About $600 from Jet performance chips.
Unread 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I finally found someone that knows what they are talking about, Zack Steele, owner of 505performance, instructed me over the phone on exactly what I needed to do to resolve the problem, no computer work needed.
Unread 07-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG91YJ View Post
I finally found someone that knows what they are talking about, Zack Steele, owner of 505performance, instructed me over the phone on exactly what I needed to do to resolve the problem, no computer work needed.
Ok. So what exactly were you told to do to resolve the issue?
JMickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #11
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

remove the locating ear on the distributor and "sinc" the timing(with engine running at 2,000rpm turn distributer to the left, mark where it starts to break-up, same thing to right, center it between the marks and tighten down), loosen the rocker arms by shiming underneath (if it's quiet it's too tight), replace injectors with 24lb injectors, replace spark plugs with autolite 3924 plugs.
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG91YJ View Post
Your kidding right ? Zack and 505 are one of the biggest jokes/hacks and rip off artists in the world of vendors.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
JimG91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Your kidding right ? Zack and 505 are one of the biggest jokes/hacks and rip off artists in the world of vendors.
I can't complain, what he told me to do worked.
I've called ATK several times and still havent talked to anyone that could help.
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry Jim but ATK isn't known for stellar service ether. Not whining but simply stating well established and earned facts from within the stroker world.

Indexing the distributor is better done at idle where you can more readily feel and hear the engine begin to stumble then when it is racing at 2,000 RPM.

The Autolite 3924 plug is a projected tip plug with roughly the same heat range as the typical Champion R*12`s. You might consider going to non projected tip plug if you have any signs of detonation. In some cases a slightly colder plug is also helpful in avoiding deto. Such as Champion R*11`s.

Your ATK engine should have come with 24 lb injectors. If not I would be asking ATK why. Typical fuel pressure should be around 39-43 psi with the vac line connected and engine idling

Good luck with your new stroker !!.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.