91 YJ Restoration w/PICS* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ Restoration w/PICS*

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 YJ Restoration w/PICS*

Alright here we go!

I've been reading theboxmans restoration of his 95 yj on here religiously. It has helped me out tremendously so far. I've found he got a lot of help with his from everyone on here so... I'm hoping for some too

Little update as to what's up with my jeep.. It's a 91 manual trans, 147xxx miles, with a s**t ton of rust. When I bought it I had no idea what I was looking for. Considering this is my first jeep. I liked the older styles and the white color so that's why I purchased it. Little did I know how much work I had in store for me

So I decided to try and fix a few things on the jeep here and ther, mostly little. And before I new it I had the tube off. Now I have never worked on cars at all! And I mean that. The most i had done before this was brake job and oil changes.

Where im at now is the tube is off and I am sanding the frame. I have a ton of pics that I will be putting up shortly and I hope with them help of all you wonderful folks on here I can complete this project of mine.

Wish me luck

Boss_hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's the way to jump right in! The YJ is one of the best vehicles to learn on because EVERYTHING can be taken off and replaced.

Some of my advice: read other build threads to get tips and ideas. Search for answers to your questions and post new topics if you can't find what you're looking for. Treat your frame with some quality rust inhibitor. Buy a welder (a Lincoln 140 model is a good all around DIY welder). Besides normal hand tools the three tools I used the most during my rebuild was a welder, a torch and an angle grinder.

Good luck and post pictures.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

awesome, now post up some pics!!!
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some photos of the car when I first bought it. I bought the car in early December and started tearing her down about two months ago
12.jpg   8.jpg   13.jpg   28.jpg   2.jpg  

Unread 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just a few of my problems that I first noticed...
4.jpg   26.jpg   15.jpg   24.jpg   37.jpg  

Unread 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is a lot of rust!

You have to love Illinois winters and road salt.

Good luck on this rebuild!!!!! The rust makes it harder, but new and pre-owned parts for YJ's are readily available.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

and some more pictures of rust arggg.

Got some work done today too. IT WAS AMAZING HERE. about 60 degress. . I basically got the frame stripped of everything now except for the engine. ALL I need to do know is grind the rest of the frame and then p0r 15 the frame. I have a weak spot on the frame that needs to be welded too. Ill have another update with pictures probably on monday. Hopefully I'll get alot done tomorrow bc its my spring break now.

Oh yeah did I mention I found out today one of the four new tires the I bought is slashed urggg. I am so pissed the guy who sold me it lied to me
10.jpg   14.jpg   25.jpg   48.jpg   51.jpg  

Unread 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow you got alot of rust.. I don't Miss living in Chicago moved away from the weather 5 years ago..
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, I love Florida weather.
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
AaronJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet Jesus, is that thing contagious?
AaronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to cry when I saw those pictures!

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Keep it up, don't quite on her. Weld new metal in, take your time and be patient, don't cut corners. You'll love that Jeep like no other vehicle you have ever had when you are done (even though it's never really done, done).

We're here for ya

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
RustedYJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That looks a lot like my project. I've got mine down to the frame and I'm building up from there.
RustedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Shawn94
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain, my Michigan yj was a rusty bucket. Doesn't get much easier than metal work on jeep though. Almost ready for paint.

Good luck, it's love and hate for sure. All worth it thoughto jeep life.
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
rmappelt
1993 YJ Wrangler 

WHOA! That is a serious amount of rust! Good luck on your build.

I love reading the build threads as well...lots to learn.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-93-yj-build-slow-low-cog-1229470/"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]My build: OuraYJ[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
rmappelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck to you sir. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when people restore their old Jeeps rather than scraping them for a newer one. Oh the horrors I saw walking through the junk yards during that cash-for-clunkers phase.... so many good engines ruined by whatever that gunk is they poured into them to seize the motors. Brought a tear to my eye, yes it did.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.