91 YJ - purchased new, sold, just bought it back - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ - purchased new, sold, just bought it back

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay...

Finished the brown dog mml w/super brackets install, changed the oil pan gasket and started reassembling the exhaust. I recruited my bil to help bleed the brakes. Put the rolling tires back on too.

I also started putting the dash back together. I have a new flex circuit board for the gauges that I just started installing.

If I ever get the pics off my phone I will have some updated ones to see.

I am looking for seats and shopping a paint job. I do not want Maaco, but not looking for show quality either.

I am also trying polish the wheels I got off cl. They have some sort of stain that feels like it is on top of the clear, but nothing I have tried seems to work. Any tips on how best to polish up clear coated wheels?

I am getting distracted by the work my 89 needs. I am in the middle of a Durango steering box swap and replacing the radiator on it.

My wife came in the garage this morning while I was under the 91 and she said "you must be in heaven. Both jeeps are in your garage and you are working on both". I told her it will be heaven when they both run and I can drive them.

jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #47
tjdethbox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What hinges are you looking for I have a spare set of upper door hinges sitting in my garage that came off a red yj from a scrapyard down the road. Great thread hopefully you get both running for top off weather.
tjdethbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #48
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdethbox
What hinges are you looking for I have a spare set of upper door hinges sitting in my garage that came off a red yj from a scrapyard down the road. Great thread hopefully you get both running for top off weather.
I am looking for tailgate hinges. The 91 hinges are shot and need replacing. I did some research about using TJ hinges, but from what i can tell they are not a direct swap. I have toyed with the idea of putting a CJ one on, but I already have a YJ tailgate and will only be running 30s so the tailgate will hold up fine.

I hope to have them running by then too. I just picked up the Durango box yesterday, so I should have that on this week.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #49
tjdethbox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep63 View Post
I am looking for tailgate hinges. The 91 hinges are shot and need replacing. I did some research about using TJ hinges, but from what i can tell they are not a direct swap. I have toyed with the idea of putting a CJ one on, but I already have a YJ tailgate and will only be running 30s so the tailgate will hold up fine.

I hope to have them running by then too. I just picked up the Durango box yesterday, so I should have that on this week.
Yeah I found out tj and yj hinges don't line up by just inches or won't match up in styles the hard way. Sad because I can only find yj's in lots near me to pick from. At least it only cost me $10.
tjdethbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #50
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished installing a new flexible circuit board for my gauges. I got this off eBay and it is nicely made with a coating over the traces. This should help cut down on the corrosion.

If my plans hold I should have the dash back together, exhaust installed, and front driveshaft in. Hopefully I will get the Jeep started too!
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #51
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used stripper on my wheels, took the clear coat completly off and polished them up, they look like new. I was going to re-clearcoat, but may just try keeping them polished.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #52
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
I used stripper on my wheels, took the clear coat completly off and polished them up, they look like new. I was going to re-clearcoat, but may just try keeping them polished.
I don't know if I am up for the maintenance chore this approach will create. I see myself getting lazy and not keeping them up.
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #53
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

After a slight detour to replace the radiator and steering box (Dodge Durango box) on my 89; I am back to this resto-mod.

The new gauge circuit works great and should last much longer than the stock one. I have the dash back together now, and I am looking for a painter. Not looking for a maaco job or a show truck job; just something decent and affordable.

I put fuel in the tank and fired the jeep up without issue. Of course, with nothing after the header it is quite loud. Not to mention the overflow bottle cracked in my 89, so I had to scavenge the 91's overflow bottle to finish the 89. Now I have a plastic bottle temporarily serving as overflow until the one I ordered comes in.

I am on the hunt for front seats now, so I'll have to begin combing the forum for the seat threads.

I started reassembling the exhaust and picked up another useful tool, an exhaust expander. It takes a long breaker bar to turn, but done slowly it made the joints slip together nicely.

I sent the Cherokee front driveshaft off to be cut-down, and balanced. This is going to cost me about 160.00. Cheaper than a Tom Woods Drive shaft for sure.

My goal is late April/early May I'm back on the road and getting ready to lay down Monsta-liner inside.
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #54
H3lzsn1p3r

subed looks good
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #55
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft is done and should be in this weekend.

I found a painter and we meet on Saturday to review the jeep and talk $$$.

Hope to have it on the road by mid May.

Will take some updated pics this weekend.
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #56
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

All ready for paint now...

I just have to tow it to the paint shop now. Plan is to drop it off on Thursday.

I pick up the rear drive shaft later this afternoon, and should have it in by tonight, the front is ready too.

Once it comes back we will do the Monstaliner in Read My Lips.

That may be light I see at the end of the tunnel.

Looking forward to wrapping this up.
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
YJinAZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

WOW! Nicely done! I look forward to seeing the finished product.
YJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #58
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing the paint completed!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #59
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

I just installed the front driveshaft last evening and took it for a spin down our street. At first I had an issue and the 4wd would not engage I swapped out the vacuum switch on the transfer case and it started working.

I am picking up the bolts for the rear driveshaft at lunch today. btw... Anyone know the bolt size/thread count for a cherokee front driveshaft?
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

In case anyone needs to know, the bolt size for a Cherokee drive shaft is a 5/16 24 about 1 3/8" long. At least this is what I needed with my sye.

Glad I drove last night, we are getting a freak snow storm today; schools are closed and everything. We have about 6 inches and it is about 33 out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.