91 YJ - purchased new, sold, just bought it back - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ - purchased new, sold, just bought it back

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up the slave stud from dealer, and the parts guy hooked me up with two nuts and lock washers. It turns out that I do have the "spacer" I just did not look closely enough at the slave's mount. Slave is all hooked up now.

I swapped out the dry rotted front brake lines for some nice longer braided steel lines, and I finished bolting up the axles and installing the shocks.

The TREs are bad and the original tie rod is bent more than I remembered. I'll have to get all new steering linkage now.

I suppose I can pass the time until the new parts arrive by trying to polish those new wheels I have...

jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
gotYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I truly think it's awesome that you're son is so involved in projects like this, being 17 I know what it's like to experience stuff like that and look back at when I was little and used to help my dad. You never forget it. Anyway, awesome project!
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #33
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Made some more progress...

Pulled the windshield frame down and I am pleasantly surprised at the minimum amount of rust underneath. Nothing is rusted through and it is centralized to the center. I pulled the dash pad off and got it mostly cleaned up. I plan to hit it with a primer and topcoat or just use some of the left over por15 I have; not sure yet what I will do.

I picked up "nused" windshield frame that is black and has absolutely no rust, and a perfect windshield that does not leak. Finished running new hard lines for the brakes, and I installed the new steering linkage. It is "close" to the original alignment since I counted the threads that are exposed on the old linkage and set it up the same on the new. I am sure I will need to perform a final adjustment using one of the methods I have read about on the forum.

I also picked up an XJ front drive shaft to use as my rear drive shaft. I'll have to take it to get cut down, but there are two places near by that do that work reasonably.

Here are some recent pics...

Unread 01-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since I have purchased a new windshield frame with good glass I took the opportunity to learn how to remove a windshield using my original windshield frame. It took some doing, but I got the glass out in one piece. I also discovered that this frame may be salvageable. The inside and bottom are prefect. Where the glass sits and around it is rusty for sure, but the steel is solid. I am considering cleaning it up and re-using it, and keeping the one I purchased as a spare for my 89 (which is black so it matches).

The glass was clearly not sealed well the last time I had it replaced and this contributed to the rust. I took some shots of the frame and am interested in opinions...

Here is the front where the rust is...

another shot of the rust...

The inside...

The bottom...

Has anyone had luck re-using a windshield with this amount of rust?

I have a lot of cleanup to do, but it looks doable to me.
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is just surface rust,I think you'll be fine
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
exige05
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine had about that, I sanded the crap out of it and kept poking with a punch to see of it was weak anywhere. When I was satisfied it was solid, I put a new windshield in. Held up all summer and so far this winter with no leaks... Granted mines only moved maybe 5 miles since then too lol
exige05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I figured it was worth a shot.

I hit it with a wire brush and went around with a punch. It is solid, so I cleaned it up as best I could and used permatex rust converter. It is all black now and ready for paint.

I am psyched about this find. I thought for sure it was toast.

I am looking into a windshield install now. After I paint it of course.
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #38
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaned up the frame picture...
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #39
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

More progress...

Removed the tailgate and hinges. Had to drill out the lower hinge and then use heat and vise grips to pull the bolts out of the lower support bracket. My hinges are shot and I have been researching using TJ hinges, but from what I can tell they are not a direct swap. I am only going to 31s; I think even those are too much for YJ hinges. Anyone have luck swapping in TJ hinges?

I plan to pull the passenger fender off to replace it and then start to shop paint options. Any tips on removing this fender?

I may slow down and move to my 89 for a while. The steering box needs replacing along with the radiator. Plus there is something going on in the rear of that Jeep too. I need to keep it up so I have a Jeep to drive while the 91 is being restored.
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #40
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you are making some good progress on the restoration! How did the rims clean-up?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
scouter4life
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks a lot like what I'm doing with my son. I'll be following the rest of your progress for sure. I'll likely do a full frame off restoration as the body needs painting and I want to pull the engine as well as the tranny & T-case to get them in top condition.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #42
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
Looks like you are making some good progress on the restoration! How did the rims clean-up?
The rims are sitting in my wood shop in the basement so I can work on them in the evenings this week; hopefully.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #43
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouter4life View Post
Looks a lot like what I'm doing with my son. I'll be following the rest of your progress for sure. I'll likely do a full frame off restoration as the body needs painting and I want to pull the engine as well as the tranny & T-case to get them in top condition.
Good luck with your frame-off

I am hoping to squeeze some life out of the existing 2.5. It is still running strong, and is the only thing still original to the frame & body:

Front/rear axles are from a 94 YJ
Transmission/Xfer case are from a different 94 YJ.
tranny/xfer case Skid plate is from an 89 YJ
Gtsp is from a 93 YJ

I am still looking for a passenger front fender and then I can work on paint.
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

very cool.......

will be watching this.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #45
snider1996

I'm glad you as your son are big into working together. My dad and I replaced an engine in our 91 yj (we bought the jeep with a spun bearing for $200 and a new engine for it cost us $250.) we love it especially in the spring. Unfortunately last Wednesday he had a bad wreck and we aren't sure if we are going to get it back or if it's totaled. We just got a hard top for it yesterday (whether we get our jeep back or not we are going to have a yj) and we only paid $200 for the upper doors and the top. Everything is in good condition and we found a great deal on that. If they say it's totaled (the front passenger wheel won't turn and the caliper is busted up and the shock too. He hit a woman who pulled out in front of him and drive up over her hood) he will try to buy it back so we can fix it and then buy another yj so we both have our own. I can wait until we can get that baby back on the road.
image-858884675.jpg  
snider1996 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.