91 YJ, intermittent starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ, intermittent starting problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 11-09-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
joe makeup

91 YJ, intermittent starting problems

I have a 91 YJ with approx. 140,000 miles on it. It has always been a bit of a pill electrically speaking. Most recently it has developed a serious starting problem making it highly unreliable. It wouldl start easily most mornings, then you would drive it to a destination, go about your business, get back in and try to start it and get nothing, except the dash lights and radio, no clicking of the starter or anything. A couple of hours later you'd get in and it would crank right ove and startr as if nothing were wrong.
I have replaced the starter, alternator,coil, ignition switch, plugs, fuel pump and most everything else. Most recently I took it to a Jeep dealership, they kept it for a few days they related having had the problem happen to them and said they traced it to an intermitten short in my Power Control Module which they replaced, $1,000.00 later they said the problem was fixed. I picked up the Jeep, it started right up and I drove it home, two days later I drove it to the store did some shopping and when I came out to go home, it wouldn't start. Again with the same problem, nothing but dash lights and the radio no clicking or turning of the starter at all.
I called the dealership and they said to bring it back out to the shop. I was able to push start it and get it back to the dealership. They had it again for another 4 days, this time the service manager said that the mechanic found a short somewhere and that the jeep was running and starting great, explaining that they kept it for a couple of extra days just to make sure. After paying another $150.00, because they cut me a deal on the labor, I drove home with no problem. The next morning I went to leave for work and the Jeep wouldn't start again. when I got home from work that evening it turned right over.
Has anyone had this problem, and can anyone help?
Frustrated

joe makeup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #2
Sarge37
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In my experience I have found most often its the simplest things that cause problems. Have you replaced the battery? How about the battery cables. That sounds like the base of the problem. I think the dealership may have taken you for a ride. $1000.00 sounds like alot of money for a PCM. I feel for you. Next time try and use jumper cables and see if it will start. Also when you replaced your starter did they reuse your Starter solenoid. That may be going or you may have bought a faulty rebuilt starter. If the PCM was bad you wouldnt have been able to push start it.
Sarge37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 05:27 AM   #3
BamaJeeper

Have you checked the self-diagnostic computer codes?
Sounds like it may be a bad CPS. Have you replaced the CPS?
Unread 11-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
beddo

Mine did the same thing. Funny but the milage was close to yours too. My problem turned out to be the starter relay wire connection at the firewall junction block. I unplugged the harness and saw that for some reason connector had come lose from the plastic plug.
beddo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
Cyanide96VR6

I had the exact same problem. It was the starter solenoid. When it wouldnt start, i would get out and hit the solenoid and it would start right up. When i finally replaced it, there was something broken inside the starter solenoid when i shook it.
Cyanide96VR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
H2_RECOVERY
1982 CJ8 

I had this problem

I did find the relay having a loose connection but tightening that was only a temperary fix. The heat from the resistance in the loose connection only backtracked to the ignition switch in the dash. I believe if you look at the steering colum where you electrical ignition switch is, check to see if it has turned from white to brown or even black. if so replace it and your problem will be fixed. what has happened is the heat from the firewall does cause the switch to change shape and cause a loose connection in the switch causing high resistance and the ultimate FAILURE!!
H2_RECOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
jdjonesdr

How do you do the self diagnostics?

I've got a 1990 4.0, and I havn't got the slightest idea of what you're talking about.
How do you do it?
jdjonesdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
joe makeup

Thanks to all for the info!

Thanks to all of you fellow Jeepers for the helpful info. Please excuse the delay in this reply but I have been out of town for work. As of yet my jeep is still in the shop, I will pass on this information and perhaps it will help the" 5 star" factory accredited mechanics at the dealership solve the problem. Thanks again, to all of you for your help. Once again if you want help for your Jeep, don't go to a dealership, go to your fellow jeep owners.

Sincerely
joe makeup
joe makeup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.