91 YJ gas tank leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ gas tank leak

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
IslandRagtop
1990 YJ Wrangler 

91 YJ gas tank leak

Has anyone successfully repaired a leak in a 91 YJ poly fuel tank? Have a pencil size hole near the filler neck and really don't want to fork over $300 to $600 for a new tank and sending unit.

Thanks,
Mark

Unread 06-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

I did it with some gas tank repair putty I got from autozone or Oreilys.

Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

$300....no way. Try these guys for a new fuel tank. Poly tanks are difficult to fix.
http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

Also try car-parts.com for a used one.
Last try this guy. He parts out Jeeps and will definitely have a tank for you cheap:
Chris
810-650-3206
We buy sell and trade parts or full jeeps
Visit our website www.cfoffroad.com
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Blotto74
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got a new tank and reused my old sending unit. The tank was $189 +shipping. The first one I ordered the guy cancelled the shipment refunded my $$ and reposted the tank @ $329. Found another one for The original price of $189. That was 2 years ago, just looked online and the cheapest I found was $305. Must be a common problem for then to gouge like that.
Blotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:35 AM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRagtop View Post
Has anyone successfully repaired a leak in a 91 YJ poly fuel tank?
Yes I have. Not sure my technique would work for anyone else though. I ignored it and it seemed to fix itself.

Tags
fuel leak , gas tank , repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.