91 yj clunking noise at take off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 yj clunking noise at take off

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
arnelio2

91 yj clunking noise at take off

I have a 91 yj and there has been a clunking noise when I start off in first. After the initial noise, I can put the clutch in and release it, and there is no noise. To hear the clunk again, I have to roll back or put it into reverse, and then back into first. Any Ideas? It sounds like it is coming from the tc or tranny. Not sure though. Just wondering if this puts up some red flags for anyone... would save me alot of time. Thanks much

arnelio2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Inspect the motor and tranny mount condition. First guess is a bad tranny mount along with the insulator stud (torque arm for the tranny mount). Usually if one is bad, then all are suspect. Meaning, if the tranny mount components are worn out, then likely the motor mounts are shot as well. Best to replace all as a set. If this is the case, replace the motor mounts first while leaving the tranny mount bolts to the skid loose. Then replace the tranny mounts and tighten once the skid is in place. This could also be caused by bad u-joints, track arm bushings, etc... Inspect all of the above. But with your description, the tranny mounts are my best guess.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
eaglesfan8105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same problem.. tranny mount was shot so when taking off the tranny was twisting over and causing the drive shaft to be at an angle and the u-joint was hitting off the shield above the muffler
eaglesfan8105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check your u-joints in the rear driveshaft.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.