91 yj arb locker problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 yj arb locker problem

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 03-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #16
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2ofdex13
here's the thing. I checked, best I could, and the pinion looks untouched. what it looks like to me, is that the installer put this thing in misaligned drove it, busted it, repaired what he had to and put the beaten and broken locker back in. I could be horribly wrong, but there were no metal chips or chunks in the case, makes me believe that the diff housing wad removed, housing cleaned and relubed. any advice on a rebuild of the locker, replacing the entire axle, or reinstalling a normal gear system? I'm thinking about just getting a used axle to install, but what type? suggestions?
Yeap, that's what I think. The PO installed it, shattered it, then fixed the broken stuff less the jacked arb. I'm not to worried about the gouges but that big chuck in the bottom of the unit looks bad. Bad bad. The whole thing needs going through as stated above.

seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
doc2ofdex13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The ring and pinion are in top shape but the locker housing is cracked. The gears and pin in the locker look great. So, I had a "great" idea!!! Dont have much cash, so....get a new carrier, reuse the gears and pin from the locker, get a minor diff install kit, put it all in and live happily ever after. Any advice on if this is a good idea?
doc2ofdex13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know how to set up gears?
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
doc2ofdex13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been around when folks have done it, still learning. Fortunatly I have a couple of buddies who have successfully set up gears and have the knowledge. They will be back in town to help me out this week. Does my solution to use the arb's gears and pin and get a new housing seem feasible?
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Other than it being a Dana 35, yes. You can reuse the gears on another carrier but I would suggest looking at a 8.8 to get rid of such a troublesome axle.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
doc2ofdex13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anti, you have been a huge help!!! Thanks alot for the guidance. I am looking into getting into a new axle once I save up my pennies. I hate to keep asking questions, but when I see something like "3.54 and Numerically Higher Gear Ratio" when looking for carriers does this mean that I would be able to use the product with 4.56 gearing?
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. There are several carriers for the Dana 35 make sure you get the one that fits the ratio and year of your axle.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
doc2ofdex13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update. The ARB was replaced with a Detroit TruTrac. The shim work was done by me and my buddy Nate. As I suspected the PO remounted the ring and pinion with new parts before he sold it to me. The ARB was trashed and scrapped. Axel housing was in great shape, shafts were good, c clips were undamaged. I am now plugging the housing where all of the old locker hoses and piping used to run and I am capping off the compressed air tree for the rear locker feed. My wheels are now unlocked and she is driving great. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and guidance.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear your issue was resolve and even happier you didnt try replacing the ARB case. The truetrac will be a lot easier on that dana 35 than the ARB. I also have a dana 35 ARB I got girt cheap. Great internals, case is shot. I think its about $400 to replace both halves of the case so Im glad you went with the TrueTrac.
jsipe007 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love a happy ending.

Tags
arb , arb locker , differential , locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.