91 YJ 4.0 6 cyl No spark won't start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ 4.0 6 cyl No spark won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You know... that same exact damn issue drove me CRAZY for an entire summer! I checked every thing, replaced parts, and ran diagnostics with a FSM and test meters. One night when it was wet, for kicks I had one of my boys crank it for me to see if it had spark. I did and just as it went out I saw a tiny spark on the wire of the coil harness. A close exam showed that sometime (at least ten years, because I had the old Jeep that long) somebody had poked the wire with a damn test light! Over the years the wire corroded and was just cutting out on me, and getting worse and worse as time went on. A new plug did the trick though!

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Problem was solved for about a day and now I'm back to no spark again.

This time I checked power at the connector to the ignition coil with the ignition key turned to the on position and got 12.5 volts which is good (I think). Next I checked the voltage at the connector while cranking the engine and the voltage was about 6.2 volts. I don't know if this is normal or enough to power the coil and produce spark.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
737Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Start it pulls through a resistive line so it should drop. 6.2 is low. It should be around 9. You can jumper battery power to the coil like I mentioned before and see if it starts. Did you ever replace the distributor pickup sensor? What about the CEL, what codes?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #19
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Back to where i started. Jeep ran great for a day with the new ignition coil connector plug. I thought this was the problem because if I held the connector tight against the ignition coil the jeep would start right up and run as long as the connector was held. As soon as I removed the pressure on the ignition coil connector plug it would stall out. It was repeatable and I did it at least 10 times. Put the new connector in and it ran like a top for the day and now it won't start again (no spark).

Here's what I've done:
-New crank position sensor
-New distributor and cam position sensor
-New ECM (jeep was running with old and new ECM's)
-Good 12.5 volt power to the ignition coil plug with the key in the on position
-About 6.2 volt power to the ignition coil plug while cranking
-Wired the ignition coil plug directly to the battery and got the same 12.5 volt power to the ignition coil plug and had about 11.2 volts while cranking the engine
-Not sure if it matters but the ECM is getting power thru pins 3 & 9. Pins 11 & 12 had good continuity to ground
-I checked ALL fuses with a multimeter for continuity and they are all good
-I bought a spark tester and I'm showing no spark. I did test it when it was running and the tester is good showing clear blue spark

I'm out of ideas for the moment. Love to hear your thoughts.
Unread 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't believe in coincidences. if you jumper power directly to the coil and it doesn't start then it's your coil, coil wire, or the distributor, or crank. I think you need to get the coil tested.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thx Guys

I don't believe in coincidences either, but this is my 3rd new ignition coil so 4 different coils if you count the original. I forgot to add the wiring from the ignition coil to the distributor is new and I do have a new cam position sensor (stator) with the new distributor. I some some specs on testing a coil so I'll be checking my old and new coil.

Any more ideas/comments are greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

pm sent. call me.
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the latest.

Didn't have time to do much this week except pick up a noid light to check the connector that plugs into the ignition coil. This afternoon checked power using the noid light and it showed good power to the connector. Plugged the connector back into the ignition coil and after a week of sitting, the jeep started right up and is currently running. If it stops running again I'll check the ignition coil plug with the noid light again.

Currently looking for a new engine compartment wire harness. As usual, any ideas are appreciated.
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
DryDiver
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man... you guys are really freakin' me out. My 91 has also been possessed. I'm going to follow you all and see what happens. BTW, I never got my rebuilt ECM from that place in Lauderdale. So, I ordered one from a rebuilder in Jacksonville. After 3 weeks, I asked for my funds back. Distributor 2 years ago, problem cleared up and is back. Not showing codes... threw a crank sensor, coil at it and I was hunting an ECM. 5602 7410 if anyone has a spare. I did look at the board through the insulator and I see something fried. Its coming out and Ill dig into it when I get back from SC... this week. Keep posting fellas, and thank you. I thought I was alone out here.
DryDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
DryDiver
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hauled my work trailer down from SC, in Orlando again. Jeep quit and thankfully restarted after about 2 mins on side of a winding desolate country road at 2am. 2 days with no issues. looked and there are no additions to this post. Is it done? thx for any help.
DryDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for checking for updates. Here's the latest

My Jeep has been running for almost a month and that's the good news.

I did a lot of electrical trouble shooting with a multi meter. Had about a week where I didn't do anything.

On some advice from the forum I tested the the connector that plugs into the coil with a noid light. I'd never heard of a noid light (it's normally used for checking fuel injectors) but I tried it. It showed I was getting electrical power to the coil connector plug. Tested good twice and I just reconnected the plug to the coil.

The bad news. It started right up with nothing really being done. I suspect an electrical short/break somewhere in the engine compartment wire harness. I've been calling around trying to find a new harness but the 1991 wrangler is unique so no luck yet.

I'm hoping it lasts the summer/fall and maybe I can put the new wire harness in this winter.

Hope this helps a little. I'll update with any changes as they occur.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
737Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I put the whammy on myself. Jeep stopped running today. So here's the latest.

Same problem, cranks but no ignition. Tried the noid light again but it shows now power to the coil connector. Next checked checked for voltage at the coil connector with a multimeter with the key in the start position (not cranking) and it showed 12.47 volts and good continuity between the ground and the negative battery terminal. I'm stumped again.

Thx again for any ideas.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I have been down for few while I recovered from a surgery. Did you get it figured out?

Tags
no spark , no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.