91 YJ 2.5 sputtering and dying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 YJ 2.5 sputtering and dying

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread Today, 10:05 AM   #1
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

91 YJ 2.5 sputtering and dying

I have been plagued by this issue recently. I'll be driving my YJ and the engine will flutter/sputter and lose power. Occasionally I can pop it into neutral and rev the engine to have it recover but only for a short period of time. It will eventually die. When it dies it won't start again.... at least for a while. Sometimes I can start it up within 30 minutes sometimes it takes several hours before it will start. Starter always cranks.

It is a 2.5 cylinder with a manual transmission.

Here's what I have done:

Fuel pump has been replaced recently
Fuel filter is almost brand new
Fuel pressure regulator is brand new.
Fuel pressure is constant. (drove with fuel pressure guage in the cab and it was normal when it died last time)
MAP has been replaced.

Plugged a scanner in and am not getting codes,

What's next? I'm at a loss.

bluexj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:10 AM   #2
Euology101
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is it throwing any codes? Check engine light on? Did you cycle key to see if any codes are stored, even if there is no check engine light.

Sounds like you experiencing similar issues to me. Most people are telling me to look into the timing, and see if the chain jumped a tooth. I have a 4.0L so it is different than you, but it might be worth looking into obviously.

I also had a Grand Cherokee which had similar issues. It was an automatic, and it would lose power, run rough, and eventually die. Did it to me on the highway at one point. I swapped out the Throttle Positioning Sensor, and drove it 1500 miles home with no issues. Might be worth your time to swing by an Autozone, purchase the sensor, and return it if it doesn't help.
Euology101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:47 PM   #3
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No check engine light. No codes thrown.
bluexj is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.