91 under hood insulation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 under hood insulation?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
renaldoaoa

91 under hood insulation?

I've been looking all over the place and I can't seem to find a replacement for the insulation that attaches under the hood to my 91 wrangler renegade.

If someone could give me any info on where to find this, or the correct name I'd really appreciate it. I assume I'm just not looking in the right place.

Many thanks!!

renaldoaoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My 91 Wrangler never had under hood insulation. It must be a renegade thing. I do not see why it would be needed with all the other Jeep noises.
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
renaldoaoa

Yeah, mine did come with one.
There was an area that wore out & when it would rain, I could see the rain burning and steaming from that spot on the hood. I figured I'd take it off and within 2 months, my hood paint was faded and burned.
I just had it repainted & would like to get another one so that wont happen again. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't, but when you look @ spending over 3 grand on a paint job, it's worth paying under $100 for some added
protection regardless.
renaldoaoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The under hood insulation is just a Renegade thing. Not sure where to find a replacement. Have you tried the dealer?
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
roadglide
1987 YJ Wrangler 

try eastwood company, they sell all kinds of restostuff.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could use this to, looks like it would be cut to fit.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...hoodliner.html
Unread 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

The underhood insulation was available in ALL models. Many larado, sahara, and renegade models came equipped with them as part of package deals. I removed mine because I didn't want to pay out the wazoo for a new one from the stealership.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it make it any quieter? If not...forget about it. I can't imagine how some insulation under the hood would suddenly make my Jeep quiet!

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaldoaoa View Post
There was an area that wore out & when it would rain, I could see the rain burning and steaming from that spot on the hood. I figured I'd take it off and within 2 months, my hood paint was faded and burned.
I just had it repainted & would like to get another one so that wont happen again. Some say it helps, some say it doesn't, but when you look @ spending over 3 grand on a paint job, it's worth paying under $100 for some added
protection regardless.
You spend $3000 on getting your hood painted?

In solid gold?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler View Post
Does it make it any quieter? If not...forget about it. I can't imagine how some insulation under the hood would suddenly make my Jeep quiet!
I didn't notice a difference before and after.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaldoaoa View Post
protection regardless.
It sounds to me like you have an an engine issue that needs to be dealt with. Your paint obviously should not be burning under the heat of the engine. Have you figured out what is causing the heat issue?

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My SE model came with the insulation, and still had it in place by the time I got my hands on my Jeep. I decided to remove it since it was all dirty and nasty, I didnt see much of a point to it. My only guess is that it was there to protect the hood from extreme heat messing up the paint. So this is what my hood looks like now...not sure if the insulation would have helped or not...

Unread 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
My SE model came with the insulation, and still had it in place by the time I got my hands on my Jeep. I decided to remove it since it was all dirty and nasty, I didnt see much of a point to it. My only guess is that it was there to protect the hood from extreme heat messing up the paint. So this is what my hood looks like now...not sure if the insulation would have helped or not...

Wow. That's weird to me. I have never seen hood insulation under a Jeep hood, including my own. Yet I have never seen paint burned off like that before. Go figure.

My Jeep in the Snow

Quote:
Unread 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler View Post
Wow. That's weird to me. I have never seen hood insulation under a Jeep hood, including my own. Yet I have never seen paint burned off like that before. Go figure.
Yeah it's pretty weird, I'm trying to find old pictures of my Jeep to see if it had some hood paint corrosion when I first got it. Never had any problems with overheating or anything like that. I just chalked it up to 13 years of heat from the engine and heat from the California sun.

I AM planning on repainting my hood when I get around to it and maybe even get some Gen-Right hood louvers, dont really care to get any insulation in there again.
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post

That has nothing to do with heat. That is bad primer either from the factory or after combined with the elements and time.

My rig has never had this insulation and has a very nice factory paint job after 13 years.

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.