91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #46
95mudman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The CEL has been on for months prob due to other issues but could bad caps in the comp even make me not have spark? As you said...I will check the coil tonight to see if its getting anything. I just dont see how they could be related to eachother. Im gonna replace the caps anyways since they are not hard to do. Maybe ill get lucky lol. Thanks guys!

95mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #47
the1sasquach
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks a ton for the write up replaced capacitors with a lil patience and a couple of hours work she running like a dream for only $6 bucks
the1sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #48
IdabJeepin
1993 ZJ 

Here to help keep this thread alive. I just replaced the three capacitors (220 uf 35VDC) in my 93 4.0 ZJ and my jeep is alive. My only frustration was having a POS for a soldering iron. But eventually it all worked out and my Jeep started this morning at 6 degrees above zero. No more waiting one minute to 5 minutes for the check engine light to come on. It took me several hours reading many threads and less than an hour to remove the ECM, replace the 3 capacitors and reinstall the ECM.
Many thanks to Jeep Forum and the input from several Jeepers.
[SIZE="4"]Aussie Locker up front[/SIZE][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="4"] Now I have a genuine 3-wheel drive 4x4![/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE="3"]Ramsay Winch on receiver so it can be used on front [B][U]OR[/U][/B] back of Jeep [B][U]OR[/U][/B] on my 4-wheeler [B][U]OR[/U][/B] to hang another bull elk up in a tree [B][U]OR[/U][/B] ???
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Lime"]Why do they call it common sense when it is so uncommon ?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Cyan"]Jeep Mods Are Like Eating Potato Chips.
Ya Can't Stop Having Just One.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
IdabJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #49
marley4hope
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm having similar issues with my 91' 4.0L. My CEL comes on sometimes and when it does I can hear the fuel pump prime and the vehicle starts, however when it doesn't come on the pump doesn't prime and vehicle will not start. Probing the fuel pump harness shows intermittent voltage which I assume coincides with whether the CEL comes on or not. I performed all of the tests and when I check pin 9 on the PCM connector it shows 12 volts regardless of whether the ignition switch is in the on position or not. Should pin 9 show voltage without the ignition in the start position? If not, could my ignition switch be bad? Could I have wiring problems that would cause this? Am I missing something or possibly performing these tests wrong?
marley4hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #50
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pin 9 is a direct battery feed and is hot all the time. If the cell does not come on and you have power to 3/9 then you need to repair the ecu.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #51
DTNJEEPER
1994 YJ Wrangler 

repair was spot on thank you!!! need to drive in this blizzard to clear walks for work. no worries now!! MANY PROPS!! note, i had to replace caps twice not sure why didnt bother to test to find why. for 5 bucks why bother? detailed info made it easy to try the second time. i just knew that this was spot on
DTNJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.