91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #31
reddogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the great info. changed the caps and it fired up fine.

reddogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #32
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok i did it today, first i tried to start the heep. 28 deg. crank,crank, no start or cel. put blow dryer on ecu for 10min. turned key cel came on and it started. so i figured it was this ecu problem. went to radio shack spent 4.50 and dug in. first off i have the 4.0L and the caps are in different spots than the other pics but they are the only 3 big ones on board. truthfully the hardest part was removing the old silicone. couldn't figure out the polarity by looking at teh caps so i went with the putting stripes the way they were on old ones and that seemed to work. took about 45min from removal to final silicone. tested it before i put final silicone on and it stared right up. then i realized it was warmed up from doing it in the house so the real test will be tonite or tomm morn.

35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
8.8 W/Elocker, D30 W/Aussie
Genright tube fenders
willyb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #33
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me the value of the Capacitors for the 4.0 I have a 93. From what I have seen I think they are .220uf 25v but since my Jeep is at a shop almost an hour from here I cannot easily drive there to get the cap size then drive back to a main town and find caps on a saturday then drive back to replace them. I live in Charleton, SC and Jeeps at a shop in St Stephen (small town no radioshack) I do have a radio shack 1/4 from here so getting them shouldnt be an issue.
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #34
mwcoast

It sounds like the computers on Cherokees are the same - would the tests be the same as well?
mwcoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #35
lewes2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I had seen this thread before taking my YJ to the shop.

My mechanic has been repairing Jeeps for a number of years but had never come across this hard-starting problem before. He spend quite some time first checking the fuel pump, wiring, and then the ignition switch electronics. He thought for sure that was the problem and replaced it. No-go. He then turned his attention to the computer and yep, that was the problem. He replaced it with a rebuilt and all is well! The 94 pops right over and starts. Thank god we got it fixed before winter sets in.

By the way, my mechanic charged me for only 2-hours of labor and the cost of the rebuilt computer. It's nice dealing with an honest person!
lewes2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #36
adamandjessyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i may not have geico but i just saved $280 by reading this thread!
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #37
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

PCM is changed and my '94 ZJ starts better than it ever has even in this 13 degree pittsburgh weather! before i changed it it would take up to 20 minutes at the worst for the CEL to come on. Glad she's running smooth!
Sykora171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
TapRackFire
1994 YJ Wrangler 

94 Wrangler, 4.0, no spark, no fuel, no CEL, relays clicking

Great info on the ECM repair. My 94 Wrangler, 4.0 is doing the same thing. Roll the key to run, no CEL, wait a few minutes or longer and then the ASD and the fuel pump relays start clicking. Sometimes they click slowly and sometime they click really fast. When the relays start clicking, the CEL will start to faintly flash on and off but very quickly. When the CEL would finally come on I could sometimes get spark at the coil and get it to fire when I used a fuel source (I found out later the fuel pump was bad). But I can not get a spark anymore.

I noticed yesterday (very cold outside) when the relays were clicking slowly, they would click faster if i moved the gear shifter from park to reverse and then they would slow again when i put the shifter into neutral, then fast again if I moved the slector to D, 2, or 1. Eventually if i waited long enough, the CEL would finally come on and stay on and the relays would stop clicking. But still no spark or fuel.

I have checked the fuel and ASD relay for 12v constant and with the key in the run position. I built a jumper for the fuel pump relay and that is the only way I can get 12v back to the fuel pump. I had to replace this fuel pump b/c through my testing I discoverd the fuel pump was bad.

Based on my description, am I a good candidate for reparing the ECM?

Thanks in advance for your help.
TapRackFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #39
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum Taprackfire. Post up to a new thread for your problem and you would get a quick response. Your post gets buried by tacking it onto someone elses. I didnt catch it until I was looking for an old post. To answer your question, yes.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #40
Sykora171

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackFire View Post
Great info on the ECM repair. My 94 Wrangler, 4.0 is doing the same thing. Roll the key to run, no CEL, wait a few minutes or longer and then the ASD and the fuel pump relays start clicking. Sometimes they click slowly and sometime they click really fast. When the relays start clicking, the CEL will start to faintly flash on and off but very quickly. When the CEL would finally come on I could sometimes get spark at the coil and get it to fire when I used a fuel source (I found out later the fuel pump was bad). But I can not get a spark anymore.

I noticed yesterday (very cold outside) when the relays were clicking slowly, they would click faster if i moved the gear shifter from park to reverse and then they would slow again when i put the shifter into neutral, then fast again if I moved the slector to D, 2, or 1. Eventually if i waited long enough, the CEL would finally come on and stay on and the relays would stop clicking. But still no spark or fuel.

I have checked the fuel and ASD relay for 12v constant and with the key in the run position. I built a jumper for the fuel pump relay and that is the only way I can get 12v back to the fuel pump. I had to replace this fuel pump b/c through my testing I discoverd the fuel pump was bad.

Based on my description, am I a good candidate for reparing the ECM?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Definitely! My '94 4.0L ZJ was doing that exact same thing. replaced the PCM (or ECM, same thing) and it fired right up. still running strong. even in these single digit temperatures
Sykora171 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #41
stobob1
2007 XK Commander 

Super Helpful. I am Off to Radio Shack this weekend. No more getting stuck at work. Thanks
stobob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
TapRackFire
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Installed the 3 new caps, put it all back together, and after a little coaxing she fired right up! Tried it several times after that and she starts every time. You guys are the best!! Now on to the master cylinder.

Tap
Unread 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #43
95mudman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i recently replaced the caps with the 35's like this thread says and now the relays stopped clicking and the pump def kicks on however i have no spark what so ever. has this ever happened to anyone before. im about to go replace these caps again with a 35v 400 rather then the 220 like this thread says. i just find it odd that i had spark before but now i dont. help me if you can...thanks!
95mudman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #44
TapRackFire
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear of your troubles Mudman. When I replaced my 3 caps i used the 35v 220's from Radio Shack. It fired up. I know you said you had spark before the repair and now you don't, could their be another issue? Cam sensor? Have you checked for voltage or spark at the coil? There was a post that described how to use a test light and test several components both under the dash and on the firewall. This test helped to elliminate other component issues and verify the fact the 3 caps in the ECM need to be replaced.

Tap
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #45
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check for voltage at the coil and fault codes before you replace the cap. Also, does the CEL come on now?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.