91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91+ Hard or No Start/Long cranks in the cold explained

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
fixxit413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

great info thanx a bunch-i just picked up my new ecu- can I just plug it in and start her up or is there a particular procedure to go through?

fixxit413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxit413 View Post
great info thanx a bunch-i just picked up my new ecu- can I just plug it in and start her up or is there a particular procedure to go through?
should be plug and play. i'd say you might want to clear any codes on the new one, but just the act of being disconnected from the harness to make the swap should do that for you.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #18
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Many thanks to Sentinal02. This thread made it very easy for me (a novice) to test everything and determine the computer was bad. I am going to take it out tonight and send it out to get it repaired. But thanks again for the very detailed diagnostic writeup!
ChiroSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
ptrain

Does anybody have any suggestions for places to get the computer repaired? It looks like that's my problem as well.
ptrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrain View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions for places to get the computer repaired? It looks like that's my problem as well.
Same here!! Does anyone know of places to get it repaired? What do I tell them I went done?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #21
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do it yourself.

Honestly. it costs 6 bucks.

It takes about 15 minutes to pull it out and put it on a bench (3 bolts).

Then 6 screws hold the cover on. Remove that.

Inside is the motherboard about 6"x9". it is covered on both siddes by an inch of hardened RTV.

From the pics in the thread, locate the 3 capacitors (easy to do, they'r ethe only 3 round things sticking up through the RTV).

Then GENTLY, with an exacto knife and your finger, peel away the RTV 1/2" on all sides of each of the 3 capacitors. (1 side is the edge so that's easy)

Do this on both sides of the board.

Now take a $2 soldering iron from radio shack and heat up the underside of the capacitor connection. It;ll pull right out.

Insert new capacitor in same holes. Heat up underside again to re-melt the solder and let cool. It's now re-fused.

Repeat for cap's 2&3.

Put motherboard back in, and glob up the caps with RTV filling in the area you removed.

Put cover on and re-install.

turn key..

VAROoooooooM!

See I told ya. $6 bucks.

Take the $194 bucks you just saved, buy a lifetime JF membership and spend $94 bucks on beer!

Last edited by Richmond88yj; 12-16-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
snaustin09

I have read a lot of things about replacing the capacitors for the ECU, is there anyone on here that has successfully completed this with the 4.0L? I have the same symptoms, and am hoping that this will fix it. Thanks!
Unread 04-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
2ndwrangler13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great repair

The trouble shooting you provided was right on. After installing the 3 capacitors and encasing them back in the encapsulant the jeep turned right over. Thanks
2ndwrangler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
ltjblalo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just went through the tests and found that I'm getting about 5V across the "Dome" fuse terminals. I'm getting fuel to the fuel rail, but I'm not getting any spark. When I turn my key to ON, the CEL never comes on (confirmed bulb works). Could this be the ignition switch like you said, and it is getting enough power to prime the fuel pump, but not enough to give spark? I'm going to test the ignition switch wires tomorrow, but it is too late tonight.

Thanks!
ltjblalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #25
Cts6867
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank You

Another Huge THANK YOU for this thread. I have a 95 2.5L 5 speed and it died the other night. It would start occasionaly for about 15 sec then die and not restart. I checked the fuel, did a complete tune up (knowing it MUST be the cap or button). No good. Then I found this thread and determined that the CEL was not coming on so I hoped it was the ECM. After a $6 trip to Radio Shack and about an hour replacing the caps, the CEL came on and she started right up time after time.
Cts6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #26
wifesyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

any luck with the 4.0?

I am also wondering about this working on the 4.0. I tried replacing the capacitors, and my symptoms remain. I'm afraid I have missed a step, or was hoping this would be a cure-all, and of course, that's not the case. I have a 91 with the 4.0. very slow to start, temperature doesn't matter, CEL works. I was thinking of the CPS as being the culprit, but hate to "replace parts till its fixed". I would rather know why it's happening so we can help others with this problem.
wifesyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If your CEL lamp comes on when the ignition is first switched on, then the capacitors in the ecm are not your problem. Yes, this covers the 4.0Ls as well, the ecm caps and related symptoms are the same between the 2.5L and 4.0L. Check for codes, if the cps is at fault, it should throw a code. If no codes, check your fuel pressure at the rail. Start a new post with your symptoms and what has been done to date so others can help you figure out what is wrong.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #28
3rdtime

Thanks for the tip

Hey, I'm a first time visitor to this forum and hit a grand slam on the first try. My '94 Wrangler wouldn't start. I followed this diagnostic proceedure to the letter and low and behold my computer was bad. Since I have some electronic background I decided to try to repair it. It was the best $4.14 I ever spent at Radio Shack. One question I have is, how critical is the "jelly" that encases the internals of the computer? Is it for shock absorbtion or waterproofing or what? I scraped a lot of it off of the top side of the circuit board looking for screws that would be holding the board in the case only to find there were none. A gentle pull with a springhook under the edge of the board and it popped right out. Anyway, I just put some RTV around the base of each capacitor to help support them and put it back together. Fired right up. AWESOME!!!!! Thanks again
3rdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #29
TaraCrazyHair
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Will this testing work for the 94 Grand Cherokee as well?

I have the same issues regarding the CEL
TaraCrazyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraCrazyHair View Post
Will this testing work for the 94 Grand Cherokee as well?

I have the same issues regarding the CEL
If it has the 4.0L, then definatley yes. Your profile states that you have a 6.0L?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.