91 ax15 swap on an 88 with a 4.2L? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 91 ax15 swap on an 88 with a 4.2L?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
mekken
1988 YJ Wrangler 

91 ax15 swap on an 88 with a 4.2L?

I tried search and the FAQ but could not find an answer. Im junking the auto for a manual and i need some info. My jeep is an 88 4.2 automatic and the parts are coming from my 91 4.0 manual parts yj. From what I hear 91's had a different pilot bushing than 92 and up so what bushing will fit on my 4.2? i already ordered a clutch assembly for a 91 with internal slave (I'll swap to external later) but will the bushing fit? If not anyone know where i can get one?

mekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting question. So, depending on what flywheel you use is going to give you a better understanding of which pilot you need. Your using a 1988 flywheel? The earlier blocks have the bushings seated in the crankshaft correct?
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know there are two different sized pilots for the ax15 that are possible, .590 and .750 iirc. So, determine the pilot size for the crankshaft/flywheel side, and then the size on transmission itself, which are two possibilities there. Then you have your answer it looks like on what you need. If it turns out you can't get the pilot locally, I am sure a company like advance adapters, or similar will definitely have it.
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
mekken
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The flywheel is from the 91 and yes the bushing was in the crank. The bushing was broke in half when i pulled the trans on the 91 though. I'm not going to take my auto trans out untill i have everything so i dont know if the 88 crank is different than the 91. I guess i should measure the shaft for now and go from there. Those would be inside mesurements right? Do you know the outside diameter of are they all the same? Thanks so much
mekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I guess my thought on this is I would probably look to use a flywheel that was used on that 4.2 engine, but you know I am not sure that this is an issue or not sure on any differences between the years, as the 91 may work just fine possibly. Ill bump the thread up again here.
That particular measurement is on the end of the input shaft, or yes the inside diameter of the bushing, should be real close.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.