90YJ Starter just started to spin/whin w/o - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90YJ Starter just started to spin/whin w/o

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
csrguth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90YJ Starter just started to spin/whin w/o

90YJ 4.2L Starter suddenly began to just spin, whine, and does not engage. I have removed starter twice and had tested at Pep Boys and Autozone and it tests good.

Checked the solenoid (small low voltage) post with multi meter and am getting at least 11.5 Volts, battery is 12.4V but Iím hesitant to keep the starter on too long so drop might just be lag. To rule out low amperage I tried with jumper cable on my battery from second running car.

Problem began just as I completed Howell TBI installation and was trying to start jeep. Starter was working as I trouble shot the lack of fuel. Starter was working and then without making any change it stopped. I have tried starter with TBI wires connected and disconnected, so I do not think this is tied to the TBI.

csrguth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
csrguth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and I did check that there are no broken teeth on either the starter or flywheel.

Last edited by csrguth; 03-09-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Charge battery, check all grounds and the connections at the battery/.//
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
csrguth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks but battery has full charge and I've even connected a second battery in a running car with jumper cables. I'm getting votage to the solenoid. Voltage to ground on starter is good.
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Check the grounds wiggle them. grounds are hard to test. If you got a set of good jumper cables you can run them straight to the starter. Clamp the ground to the housing and the + to the + terminal. then start. If it shows a big improvement in starting then its in your + or ground wires of the Jeep. If not then the starter is crapping out. But just dont see something like that jumping up after a major install of electronics. I see grounds being a issue most times.

Adding the second battery would not work if you having wiring issues, it only test the current battery and the quality of the jumpers....... Did they get hot when trying to crank?
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So can you hear the gear kicking into the the flywheel? It will usually clunk when the bendix kicks out the gear in the starter.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you did a load test on the battery (not just voltage test) and it checked good, try replacing both battery cables and clean the ground from battery to block. The cables can develop internal resistance due to heat damage (like trouble shooting and running the starter too long).

It doesn't take much to spin these 6 bangers, but a large voltage drop will cause the starter to drop the bendix back to rest position.

Tags
starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.