Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

90YJ, 305c.i.d., ? tranny, transfer kit....

439 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NaeKid 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a 91 YJ. Someone put in a Chevy 305c.i.d., and sold it to the next guy. The current owner thinks that the tranny is the original Wrangler and that it mated up to the 305 with no problems. The YJ is currently only 2WD (actually 0WD because the tranny is broke), and the guy says he has a transfer kit to put in it.
1. Does the original Wrangler tranny connect with a Chevy 305?
2. Can I put in a regular chevy tranny and make the YJ 4WD again?
3. Is that what the transfer kit is for, or do I have to get a special tranny?
4. What are main problems I'll be looking at?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
if it used to be a 6 cyl...it will mate up, if it was a 4cyl...dont get it...allso if it has the stock axles that could be a problem

#3 ·
thejeep said:
I'm looking at getting a 91 YJ. Someone put in a Chevy 305c.i.d., and sold it to the next guy. The current owner thinks that the tranny is the original Wrangler and that it mated up to the 305 with no problems. The YJ is currently only 2WD (actually 0WD because the tranny is broke), and the guy says he has a transfer kit to put in it.
1. Does the original Wrangler tranny connect with a Chevy 305?
2. Can I put in a regular chevy tranny and make the YJ 4WD again?
3. Is that what the transfer kit is for, or do I have to get a special tranny?
4. What are main problems I'll be looking at?

Thanks,
Dan
if it was a 6 to begin with like Special said, then it would have an AX-15. I don't think the 4 cyl AX-5 would last long behind 8 cyl power so i doubt it was a 4. they would have had a hell of a time getting it to bolt to the engine anyway. what i don't understand is why it's only 2wd. all of the wranglers had 4wd as far as i know. except for the mail jeeps. maybe they pulled the tranny from one of those. or a 2wd XJ AX-15. if that's the case, then i believe the 2wd tranny can be modified to accept a transfer case. your best bet though might be to go like you said and get a chevy tranny with mated t-case as a package and swap the whole thing in. I'd definitely make sure the rear axle is sound before buying it though. they're known to fail under the power of a stock 4 and 6 cyl engines so putting V8 power to it would likely kill it pretty quick. I'm not sure what a transfer kit is, but more then likely it's a transfer case that will bolt to whatever tranny is in there. find out what the kit has and exactly what tranny is in there and make sure they'll be compatible. check out this site for some good info on swaps and ID'ing some of the better trannys out there. Novak

#4 ·
he could get a sm465 or sm420 with the granny gear low and swap that in...if u want pm me i know a guy thats selling one for 250, all you would need is adapters to the transfer case, as the sm trannys are chevy

#6 ·
Without seeing pictures of what is in there - we can all just guess what has been done.

Someone might have even slipped a 2wd tranny in there and just hooked it to the rear-axle (I have seen that setup before).

Show us some pictures on how its setup - and we can help you figure out what to do from there ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.