90 yj wipers won't work Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 yj wipers won't work Help!!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
deadidick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

90 yj wipers won't work Help!!!

wiper won't work, the fuse looks fine, is there a circuit breaker? is there a way to by pass the switch and check the motor while still on the jeep ? need help rains comming!!!!!

deadidick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This happen to me once all I did was turn the wiper on and give the wiper arm a little pull and see what happen.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

double post
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My wipers wouldn't work at all. After checking fuses, wires, circuit breakers, etc, I found the problem....an old stereo remote and a large dog choke chain fell thru the windshield vent and wedged themselves around the wiper linkage. If you have voltage to the wiper motor, it might be worth a shot to go fishing and see what you come out with!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
deadidick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
My wipers wouldn't work at all. After checking fuses, wires, circuit breakers, etc, I found the problem....an old stereo remote and a large dog choke chain fell thru the windshield vent and wedged themselves around the wiper linkage. If you have voltage to the wiper motor, it might be worth a shot to go fishing and see what you come out with!
is there a circuit breaker? if so where is it. i did find a lighter in the frame, i'll do some more fishing tomarrow, thanx Rich
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There's a box Velcroed or screwed to the dash under the headlight switch area. This is the magic box that controls the wipers. Check the connections on it, I had issues with the intermittent part of it not working and found it by wiggling the wires accidentally. Try cleaning up the contacts on it and see if that helps.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't believe a circuit breaker is used for the wipers. If your linkage is fine, and "wire wiggling" didn't work, you might have to lower the windshield to confirm that your wires are not pinched. From that point, you can test for power or replace if needed.
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Correct, no c/b. Power supplied by 5.3amp fuse under the dash and it is the middle fuse on the bottom row. Power goes through the switch to the wiper motor. If all of the other suggestions do not pan out, and if you have intermittent wipers, then try bypassing the intermittent module by disconnecting it and connecting the two connectors together to rule out the intermittent control module.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
deadidick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

got them working!!! had to strip the harness to locate several smashed wires . did some cutting and spliceing ,put it all back together and i have wipers. the wife took my yj to work as we woke up to snow. as she walked out the door she reminded me to fix her yj. done deal i might even get lucky tonite! thanks for all your input
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious, where were the smashed wires located?
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
deadidick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

under the wind shield. the jeep was laid on it's side by the kid who owened it. his mom was done wiyh it so i picked it up for $500 no body damage . cracked windshield and a broken rear axel shaft. found shaft ,backing plate at the junkyard. bought a new brakedrum and rear brakes. waxed it and it on the road and looking great ,it's a 90 yj 4 banger with 31z10.50x15 brand new tires on it at purchase. i think i have $800 in it, gave it to the wife for xmas. that should keep her from driving my 87yj.
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With your luck, you should go to Las Vegas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.