90 yj will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 yj will not start

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 yj will not start

I have a 90 YJ 2.5 5 speed.
It has only sat for abot a week without being started this winter.
Today I tried to start her and nothing, battery is fine no loose battery wires, I cannot even hear the fuel pump kick on, the needle on the amp guage does not move and the only thing that works in the cig lighter,
Please tell me where to start looking.

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bad battery cables, especially the big ground cable to the engine. They can look fine and be totally ruined and corroded inside.

Also, follow the small positive cable to the starter relay. It will be on a post with 5 or so 10 gauge wires. Each 10 gauge wire starts with a fusible link. This is the power supply for the whole jeep except for the starter. Clean it up, check continuity of fusible links.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Fuses and ground.... As stated, check the negative battery cable at the block...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
rwcook49

Agreed. After checking the battery cables and fuses, check the fusible links down on the firewall. If one is blown you won't start.
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Eureka

Thanks everyone, I removed main ground wire, cleaned the block stud replaced the ground cable and eureka it worked.
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC90YJ
Thanks everyone, I removed main ground wire, cleaned the block stud replaced the ground cable and eureka it worked.
Awesome! I only knew the issue might be at the block because I had the same problem. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.