90 YJ vacuum leak at canister. HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ vacuum leak at canister. HELP!!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 YJ vacuum leak at canister. HELP!!!

Hey Guys,
I have installed a ford 2150 Carb recently and man what a difference it made. I have done the nutter bypass and the team rush upgrade. now for the carb i have routed everything like the instuctions tell me but when i T off the PCV valve to the carb then to the canister filter the jeep wont run. When I disconnect the canister it will run and idle great. I have however replace all the vacuum line to take that out of the issues any ideas? maybe the canister is no good?
Thanks

dndmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
jdanthony
1986 CJ7 

Ur Pcv should run right to the bottom of the carb, distributed advance vac to side of carb with a T to ur Cto. The canister should go to manifold vac ... I have a few drawing and pix that may help u lemme try and find them they helped me alot!
jdanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One thing to look at since I've been through this battle... Make sure your lines on the canister are correct and use the plastic vacuum line adapters to step up step down. My PVC line does t into the line on the back of the carb. One line to the PVC one to the canister. Use starter fluid to check for leaks.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBones702 View Post
One thing to look at since I've been through this battle... Make sure your lines on the canister are correct and use the plastic vacuum line adapters to step up step down. My PVC line does t into the line on the back of the carb. One line to the PVC one to the canister. Use starter fluid to check for leaks.
So does mine. thats where the issues are if i dont T to the canister it runs like a top. Im thinking maybe a leak in the gas tank vent line? Im gonna block that and retry.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
jdanthony
1986 CJ7 

A friend of mines was leaking at the fuel pump, we replaced and found that it was shot and bam! Runs great!
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanthony View Post
A friend of mines was leaking at the fuel pump, we replaced and found that it was shot and bam! Runs great!
is the Fuel pump in the Tank?
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
jdanthony
1986 CJ7 

It u have the 4.2 it just in front of the distributer
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
jdanthony
1986 CJ7 

These might help
image-703226403.jpg   image-4059749727.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Spray down at the canister with it running. If you hear idle Change you have to solve the leak. Also, replace any old nasty lines.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The emissions canister is not supposed to vent while at idle. If the valve that controls the venting gos bad, you'll end up with a nice vacuum leak.

I've diagnosed a faulty canister doing this simple test: Hook up all the lines as they should be connected. Try pinching off the purge line that feeds the canister vapors to the carb - if the idle smooths out, the canister is likely bad (that is, the valve that controls the venting is bad).

They don't make the OEM style canisters for the 258 anymore, but a canister from a 4.0L can be adapted to work.

BTW, if you are still running a stock fuel pump, it is located on the passenger side of the engine block.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
The emissions canister is not supposed to vent while at idle. If the valve that controls the venting gos bad, you'll end up with a nice vacuum leak.

I've diagnosed a faulty canister doing this simple test: Hook up all the lines as they should be connected. Try pinching off the purge line that feeds the canister vapors to the carb - if the idle smooths out, the canister is likely bad (that is, the valve that controls the venting is bad).

They don't make the OEM style canisters for the 258 anymore, but a canister from a 4.0L can be adapted to work.

BTW, if you are still running a stock fuel pump, it is located on the passenger side of the engine block.
Thanks Bro
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

where is the canister valve back by the fuel tank?
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Under the washer bottle drivers side inside engine compartment
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
dndmicks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBones702 View Post
Under the washer bottle drivers side inside engine compartment
Not the canister the check valve. I do see that its on the fuel tank it self but The jeep dealer says on my 15gal tank there is not one. whats up with that.
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are looking at the charcoal canister looking at where the 4 lines go in it is the one all the way to the right. It's the one with the quarter shaped dial on top. Under the washer bottle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.