90 yj speedometer help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 yj speedometer help

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 yj speedometer help

I have a 90 yj but the transfer case was swapped out for a newer one not sure what year it is but it has an electronic speedometer adapter on the tcase but the speedometer is mechanical one of my friends has a spare tcase with the mechanical speedometer gear in it but the gears are different sizes im not sure if i should just swap the speedo out with a newer electronic one or get a new gear for the tcase or where to even find these things any help would be greatly appreciated.

yjman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use the mechanical one and swap the gear if it fits!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The tag on the transfer case should have a build date on it. That will help you find the correct parts. Im pretty sure there is a long and short shaft speedo gear depending on the year.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The one in the tcase is short shaft the one I got out of the other case has a long shaft and the gears are two different sizes . . . I've tried looking for identification numbers but haven't found anything on it
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It does have a sye kit in it not sure if that would change the gear or not
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

if you need a new gear , each tooth count comes in a different color.

There are a couple of guys who sell the various gears on ebay; seach for jeep speedometer gear.

I think you can just swap in the entire adapter section from one tcase to another. Meaning, this whole thing.
gear1.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've got that but the one that came out of the case has a red gear and is bigger with a shorter shaft than the yellow one
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got it figured out I appreciate all the help didn't realize they had all the different sizes the one in the case is a 41 tooth found them online with the long shaft instead of the short shaft thanks again everyone
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

before you order a new gear do the math on your gearing and tire size so your speedo will be accuate.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...-chart-153853/

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-46.htm
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.