90 yj shock issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 yj shock issues

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 yj shock issues

alright not sure what length of shocks to run. . . . i just put a 4 inch rough country spring lift on my 90 yj the lift kit came with shocks but the shocks wont fit due to they do not account for a spring over axle lift so im a couple inches short on shocks not sure if a 6 inch lift shock will work or if i have to go bigger i measured from bolt to bolt where they mount and the rear is roughly 25"s and the front is roughly 31"s any help would be greatly appreciated i dont want to go throwing money away thanks

yjman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do a measure for shocks search. The only way to replace shocks after a lift.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Measure the mounts again with the suspension complete flexed out. Extended and collapsed lengths and add an inch to each measurement. Order accordingly.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You put 4 inches on top of a soa?? Wow that's huge
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I didn't calculate the soa before I bought the lift oh well life goes on
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U need shocks in the 12"-14" inch travel range. Ur sitting pretty close to the same height as me. I have 3.5 inch springs and I'm SOA. Front springs r 3.5 hd rear superlift springs and the rear r waggy springs mixed with the same ones I have up front, pus I have 1 inch lifted boom shackles...I have moved all the mounting points on my shocks from stock, but when I had stock mounts I used a 12" travel shock up front and a 10" travel in the back and maxed them both out. I now run 14" travel up front and 12" travel in the rear. Measure what they r fully compressed and extended(with ur shocks unbolted) if u want exact measurements but ur not going to be able to buy shocks for sum generic amount of lift in ur situation, unfourtunetly. Check out bilstein shocks they'll have something in the size u need and can handle just about nething thrown at them. They're also not as expensive as most people think. If u go with a generic white oil shock instead of a nice gas shock, don't expect much from them. They r ok on the road but from my experience aren't worth a darn offroad and won't last very long.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
yjman90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.