'90 YJ Ignition Key Switch Replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '90 YJ Ignition Key Switch Replacement?

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread Today, 05:13 AM   #1
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

'90 YJ Ignition Key Switch Replacement?

Hey guys:

My key is so worn it will not work most of the time. It is a crap shoot most days on how long it will take to "jiggle" the lock to get my old girl to start up.

I picked up a new lock assembly and a blinker switch assembly (blinker on the left won't shut off on its own). I did a search of the forum and can't find a good write up on how to disassemble the steering column to replace these items.

I have a regular gear puller set but not a steering wheel puller: will I need one or will my regular puller work?

Does anyone have a link to a good write up that they can share?

Thanks,

Pat

qlfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:29 AM   #2
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Not sure if you need the steering wheel puller, it depends on what your gear puller set consists of. You will need the lock plate removal tool to compress the column. It should be about $15 at your local auto parts store.
It looks like this.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:38 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is what you are looking for. Remember to give him a thumbs up.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...witch-1226376/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:10 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
This is what you are looking for. Remember to give him a thumbs up.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...witch-1226376/
Great write up on replacing the switch, but the OP needs to replace his lock cylinder, and not the switch assy.
Unread Today, 07:31 AM   #5
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it is a great write up but I need to replace the key cylinder part and the turn signal switch if it isn't too much of a hassle while the wheel is off.

I have been searching the net since last night and have not come up with one good step by step for doing this o a YJ.

Thanks,

Pat
Unread Today, 08:24 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Search on a GM tilt wheel assembly. Like from a C10 or Camaro
Unread Today, 08:30 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/no...sembly-683698/
Unread Today, 08:36 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Steering-...r-steering.htm
http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
http://bc4x4.com/tech/2009/jeep-steering/

Dales link is dead but it looks like there is a PDF of it I can see here at work. Look at the top of the list:
http://www.google.com/#q=http:%2F%2F...lt%2Ftilt.html
Unread Today, 09:06 AM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

He says his only key is worn. If the cylinder is still good, try a locksmith.

I'm still amazed the time I lost my keys and called a locksmith.
He stuck a thing in the lock, pulled it out, wrote down some numbers, grabbed a key blank, took some kind of snippers and snipped out a perfect key by hand. He tried the key, filed the blank down a little, wire brushed it, and it was perfect.

Took him about as long to do the job as it took me to type this. He is an old timer who knows his stuff. His usual charge was only 30 bucks, this was on a weekend so he charged me 50.

Just a thought
Unread Today, 09:07 AM   #10
qlfarm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the links! I printed the Dale's Jeep Junk one; that will be a great step by step to use.

I don't have the compression tool and nobody in the area has one in stock. Can two people and some creativity get the plate compressed enough to take the spring clip off?

Thanks again for all of the input!

Pat
Unread Today, 09:15 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post

He stuck a thing in the lock, pulled it out, wrote down some numbers, grabbed a key blank, took some kind of snippers and snipped out a perfect key by hand. He tried the key, filed the blank down a little, wire brushed it, and it was perfect.

Took him about as long to do the job as it took me to type this. He is an old timer who knows his stuff. His usual charge was only 30 bucks, this was on a weekend so he charged me 50.

Just a thought
Back in my dealership days, I was the key guy (among other things) I got so I could look at a key and read the code, not hard, only 5 cuts, each cut 0 to 5 (or something like that, it has been a long time).

Cutting a new key to code is always better than copying a worn key to a new blank. Sometimes, that is all it takes to restore function to the lock.
Unread Today, 09:29 AM   #12
Deepsouth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a home made one I have used many times. Took a piece of 1/4 x1 1/2 in steel about 4 in long.One hole drilled in the center big enough to fit over the bed of the steering shaft to be held on by the nut that holds the steering wheel on.Move out 1 1/2 or 2 inches , then drill and tap a 5/16 or 3/8 hole on each side of the center hole. Two 5/16 or 3/8 bolts press down on the lock plate while the 1/4 in piece is held down by the nut.Easy almost free tool if you have drills and taps
Deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:31 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I never heard of the key thing. That is a great idea. I would definitely try it first! You can get the compression tool from the tool loan program at any of the major parts stores for a refundable deposit.
Unread Today, 10:22 AM   #14
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post

Just a thought

Same thing with me except I forgot my keys to the big truck 250 miles away. Paid $75 on a sunday night and was amazed, he put a blank in the switch, jiggled it around enough to make some marks and then filed it by hand. Month or so later the switch went south...Replacment switch with keys like $18.00 at the Kenworth dealer.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:02 AM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Same thing with me except I forgot my keys to the big truck 250 miles away. Paid $75 on a sunday night and was amazed, he put a blank in the switch, jiggled it around enough to make some marks and then filed it by hand. Month or so later the switch went south...Replacment switch with keys like $18.00 at the Kenworth dealer.

When the toter won't start at go-home time, you will pay anything to get her smokin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.