90 YJ idles at 3k-3.5k! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ idles at 3k-3.5k!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

90 YJ idles at 3k-3.5k!

I just recently went through a bunch of not starting issues... bottom line I had to replace the ECU. So I get it replaced, fire it up and its idling at 3000 RPMS.... Heres what I checked:
-checked all vac lines, they appear good
-checked the throttle body out, the blade isnt even open when its doing this
-the throttle cable isnt binding or catching
-the only way I can slow down the engine is have it in gear and use the gears to slow it down
-if I press the clutch in, the idle shoots up again
-I sprayed around the engine bay to check for leaks and found nothing.
-when I open the throttle, the blade opens up and it revs higher
-I plugged the little slit in the throttle body inlet and the idle didnt change.

The only thing I could suspect is that I replaced all my fusible links with inline fuses because I trust them more. 4 total. Each one has a 30 blade fuse in it bc I didn't know what size to use. Could this be throwing off readings in the ECU?

Could they have sent me the wrong ECU?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks
Dave

I need some help because even though I was able to drive it around, I will burn up my clutch fast that way and obviously I need it normal.

Unread 04-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
-BeNt-
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Only time I have had this issue was the vacuum hose that plugs into the intake behind the throttle body wasn't plugged back in after I changed my throttle position sensor. As much as you want to cuss it double check yourself on the vacuum hoses. It could be a computer issue as well, meaning something isn't plugged in, check your sensor wiring too.
-BeNt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

rechecked all my vac lines and for leaks and im sure its computer related or sensor related.
I am kinda stumped bc my TPS reads .8 volts at idle and my ISA motors both read like 7 volts at idle. I dont know where these are supposed to be or how to test them. I moved the tps open and closed and it seemed smooth so I dont think thats it. It also starts off at like 2200-2500 and then it warms up goes to 3500.
The throttle blade is completly closed, but when opened revs the engine. The performance seems unchanged, the engine just wont go below 3500 when its warm...
I also unplugged my map sensor and the engine started to die, so I think that is functioning
I unplugged the TPS and the engine didnt stumble at all which did puzzle me some.
I am also going to check out the IAC sensor but idk how to test it.

I am going to try a ECU reset tomorrow to see if that works because after the ECU swap I never did that.
I am open to any suggestions though

Dave
Unread 04-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the bolts on your intake manifold.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did, they are all there and tight.

Dave
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Opps thought you had a 6cyl, my first thoughts where based on that.

It is possible you have gotten a bad ecu, happened twice trying to get a used one for my toyota trucks. My issues consisted of not idling at all and no spark with the next ecu.

That being said, I bought a new one for that specific year and model. cost over $200 but no more issues.

JUST MY 2cents
Unread 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im gunna try cleaning the throttle body tonite to see if that helps. So far nothing is fixing it.

Dave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.