90 YJ Got spark, got fuel. No start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ Got spark, got fuel. No start

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Plyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 YJ Got spark, got fuel. No start

Okay... this is frustrating. Installed new 4.0L head (new valves, springs, retainers, headers, rocker arms, etc.) on my 4.2L block.
Got TDC on compression stroke (the way I checked this was by watching the valves open while manually turning engine... last valve open before TDC mark hit 0 was intake valve). Have GM HEI which ran great before head transplant.
In fact, everything ran great before transplant.

I'm getting spark (hung light off #1 & cranked engine). I'm getting fuel (looked down throat of Weber & see gas going in when I move throttle).

This should be simple... I've got spark, I've got fuel, and I'm on TDC.

Time to pull timing chain cover??? This thing has me baffled... help!

Plyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

bad vac leak somewhere, taht would keep it from firing, if it was bad enough....

ground not hooked up somewhere...

dont know man frustrating fro sure this kind of ****

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyj View Post
Okay... this is frustrating. Installed new 4.0L head (new valves, springs, retainers, headers, rocker arms, etc.) on my 4.2L block.
Got TDC on compression stroke (the way I checked this was by watching the valves open while manually turning engine... last valve open before TDC mark hit 0 was intake valve). Have GM HEI which ran great before head transplant.
In fact, everything ran great before transplant.

I'm getting spark (hung light off #1 & cranked engine). I'm getting fuel (looked down throat of Weber & see gas going in when I move throttle).

This should be simple... I've got spark, I've got fuel, and I'm on TDC.

Time to pull timing chain cover??? This thing has me baffled... help!
That intake valve should have been closed (fuel air charge has to be in the cylinder before the compression stroke begins) as you were coming up on TDC of the compression stroke.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

^^ beat me too it. Your last valve to open before TDC, and it should close as you approach TDC. If there's a bit of overlap in the cam you might have both valves moving at the same time, @ TDC.

Sounds like you're 180 out.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pull #1 plug...stick finger in plug hole. Have a buddy bump engine until the compression wants to push your finger out of the #1 plug hole. Use breaker bar and large socket to findish bringing this engine up to TDC by sticking long thin stick in #1 hole to watch #1 piston come up to TDC checked against your timing marks. Once TDC on the compression stroke is attained, pull the distributer cap and check rotor position. Move rotor to just before #1 plug tower position on said disrtibuter. Enjoy!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel , spark , timing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.