90 YJ Front Speaker Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ Front Speaker Installation

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Boulders23
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 YJ Front Speaker Installation

Anyone have advice or tips on front speaker install???

Boulders23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
plyguitar45
1991 YJ Wrangler 

from FAQ...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/installing-polk-db460-speakers-write-up-554831/

-SOLD MY JEEP :(-
2.5L Red '91 YJ w/ 2.5" RC lift, 2" BL, 31" MT Baja Claws, Superwinch LP8500, RH4x4 Front Bumper, JKS Quick Disco's, Rampage Nerf Bars
plyguitar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
kharmajavah
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen a couple of threads (a long time ago...no idea where they are) where people with small hands replaced the speakers without dropping the windshield or partially removing the dash. I need to replace mine, I'm a small guy with small hands, and based on my testing, I can get to all the important parts without messing with the windshield or dash. It doesn't feel good...and I'll probably just do it like the write up describes when I get around to it...but it can be done.
kharmajavah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It most definitely can be done. Ham-fisted oafs need not apply...

Passenger side is easy, drop the parking brake to get better access on the drivers side.

And take many cocktail breaks.
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
RedWind
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the short answer is put your windshield down and everything will be clear
RedWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^Yeah, dropping the windshield and loosening the dash is the easy way to go. And you get to play with all the torx bolts !! One word of caution, I noticed it was a little tight trying to get my dash seated back against the tub when I put everything back together. Turned out it was because the blower housing for the factory air had dropped out of position and I had to fold the windshield and take everything apart again to get it back where it belonged - I'm real good at it now. Just make sure everything is where it's supposed to be before you tighten it all down.......
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Boulders23
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I had to put the windshield down to get access. It acutally was fairly simple, just a lot of screws and torx bolts. I actuall couldn't get the old speakers out without breaking the studs off. There are brackets behind the dash that didn't allow me to drop the driver side speaker. Thanks for the advice and from this experience I beleive pulling the dash is the way to go!!!!

Thanks
Boulders23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did it along time ago on a friends jeep without pulling the dash, definite pita but less things to take apart and srews to loose that way.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.