90 YJ fan clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ fan clutch

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

90 YJ fan clutch

Just wondering what year they started putting the fan clutch on wranglers, I don't have one but would possibly like to upgrade if it fits easily.

bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

What do you have on your motor now? Do you have an overheating problem? As far as I know all wranglers have fan clutches but I'm not sure when they started putting thermal vs. non-thermal on them.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I dont know about the 4's, but my 88 YJ with a 6 has one on it and mine went out a while back and I just told them the year and model and the new one was the same and I figured the 4s did to, maybe someone took it off of yours somewhere down the road in the past and put the one thats there on it.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Know way to tell i suppose but its definitely not a clutched fan, with the engine off if i spin it the whole engine turns, I'm thinking a clutch fan will help it warm up faster in the winter and maybe free up some engine power when not in use.

(2.5L engine power) < lol
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL you bought a PO jury rig then. All the YJ's had a clutch fan. With the 2.5L that thing is taking a bunch of your horse power. Get rid of it totally and go to the Taurus fan. You will get more horse power and better cooling for under $100. It's well worth it and not much more then the clutch will cost you. I can tell the difference big time with my 89 2.5L.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...l-pics-233676/
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
Know way to tell i suppose but its definitely not a clutched fan, with the engine off if i spin it the whole engine turns, I'm thinking a clutch fan will help it warm up faster in the winter and maybe free up some engine power when not in use.

(2.5L engine power) < lol
One way for a fan clutch to go out is that they will lock up. Sounds like your fan clutch locked up.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Upon further investigation, and looking at some pictures on the web, I do in fact have a fan clutch.

However it is locked up arg. I don't experience an overheat condition in 100+ deg weather so i suppose its something i can live with.

But the idea of a little more power would be nice. I just don't favor adding any electronics on my jeep because i like to play in the water/mud
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The electric fan is better by a long shot for mudding and water. The mechanical and electric fan trying to push through the mud and water destroys them. Most people put a kill switch to toggle off the electric fan which is something you just can't do with the mechanical fan. The fan being seized like that is making your engine work way harder then it should eating up your fuel and is trying to push mud and water when you are sloshing the heap in a crossing. You really shouldn't leave it seized up.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

good point, and brings some things up i hadn't thought of.

Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.