'90 YJ - Darn It build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '90 YJ - Darn It build up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

'90 YJ - Darn It build up

Here is how DARN IT sits right now :
stock 2.5L w/ AX5 trans
BDS 4.5" lift
swapped '95 cage in place of '90
Slip yoke eliminator
Rusty's steering tie rod draglink conversion
G2 Hi-Pinion 44 w/4.88, Eaton E-Locker, 30 spline chromoly
G2 Rock Jock w/4.88, Eaton E-Locker, disc brakes, 35 spline chromoly
Hanson 52" winch guard w/Warn 8k and Line-X sprayed 360° around bumper, Crosby shackles, and PIAA lights
Rockhard 4x4 rear bumper w/tire carrier, basket, and license relocator, Crosby shackles
Smittybilt rocker guards coated in Line-X
Throttle Down Kustoms 0" trans skid plate
33"x12.50"x15" Cooper Discoverer STT x 5
Cragar Soft 8 32 bolt beadlocks x 5
Hi-Lift X-Treme w/Warn recovery gear
Hunsaker sport seats w/ RJS 5 point harness

and too much piddly stuff to list.

Future add ons: 350 v8 mated to a 700R4 both of which I already have. Replace axles to handle larger tires and of course more power. Metal Cloak body arched body armor and 6" flares. Remake front seat risers to drop them down some. and I want to run 37" tires to gain more clearance on the axles.

This is my own thread as a follow up to Schann's post on me installing my new axles. I am looking for thoughts and ideas on looking into stretching it. Thus him making the post for me.

I was looking in to possibly stretching the rear end, from the comments I have read so far, that is not feasible for me to do. Now pondering all involved into doing a SOA, even though I would rather stay SUA. I need to find a balance to this build up and just be happy with it.

I don't want a trailer queen, as I don't own a trailer. I am building this jeep to get me from the house to the trail and back. Unlike most, I am overkill for what I will be doing with this jeep, and I make no bones about it. I wheel alone except as my daughter as co-pilot, so I have to depend on it.

bluedeval03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, never wheel alone.

Your build seems rather solid with the exception of the suspension. The components are top notch but as we have discussed, the gas tank will be affected by the large rear pumpkin and you'll have a quick loss for clearance there instead of the lack of clearance for tires which is usually the issue. You don't have to stretch anything if you don't want. Metalcloak fenders will provide the clearance for the tires to clear but you may have to install bumpstops if you find those flexy springs moving around too much and your tires rubbing. Then again, I don't know what type of wheeling you do.

There are several methods you can explore when it comes to having a problem with your gas tank rubbing your differential. I have been down this road. Not exctly the same thing but close
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...09/?highlight=
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got one of these to allow for a wheelbase stretch. Not cheap, since its quality stuff from GenRight.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=BST4000

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
First of all, never wheel alone.

Your build seems rather solid with the exception of the suspension. The components are top notch but as we have discussed, the gas tank will be affected by the large rear pumpkin and you'll have a quick loss for clearance there instead of the lack of clearance for tires which is usually the issue. You don't have to stretch anything if you don't want. Metalcloak fenders will provide the clearance for the tires to clear but you may have to install bumpstops if you find those flexy springs moving around too much and your tires rubbing. Then again, I don't know what type of wheeling you do.

There are several methods you can explore when it comes to having a problem with your gas tank rubbing your differential. I have been down this road. Not exctly the same thing but close
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...09/?highlight=
I am quickly realizing that I am going to have to look into this once I get my front axle installed and I can get the rear end off the ground and mock it in place and cycle it through
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I got one of these to allow for a wheelbase stretch. Not cheap, since its quality stuff from GenRight.
I have seen the Gen Right under side tank conversion, but dayuummm they are pricey
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, the tanks that are DOT approved cost a fortune to get them approved and I would imagine tons of government red tape too. Those costs are passed onto the buyers.

Mine is a non-DOT approved cell so they are less expensive.

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there ANY kind of cell that a seat could be made to fit on top of? Is this ridiculously unsafe?

Possibly a cell that could be fitted on just one side allowing for a 1/2 back seat?

Im just stabbing in the wind in an attempt to see if there could be a way to accomadate a fuel cell in the tub and a back seat of sorts?

"The" YJ Users Group on the Facebook
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/460239123997332/[/url]
schaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaan View Post
Is there ANY kind of cell that a seat could be made to fit on top of? Is this ridiculously unsafe?

Possibly a cell that could be fitted on just one side allowing for a 1/2 back seat?

Im just stabbing in the wind in an attempt to see if there could be a way to accomadate a fuel cell in the tub and a back seat of sorts?
I haven't had my back seat installed for several years, but if I were to have mounted my GenRight cell behind the rear fold & tumble, there *might* be enough room....not sure.
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have thought the exact same thing. One as big as the bed area, but yet the seat can bolt above it. Not made because of the danger, but sounds good
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

this one fits behind the rear seat
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=BST4000
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedeval03 View Post
That's the one I have.
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Joe Dillard;14901940]I got one of these to allow for a wheelbase stretch. Not cheap, since its quality stuff from GenRight.
\

Hey Joe, what is the "crawl this thread" above???
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedeval03 View Post
Hey Joe, what is the "crawl this thread" above???
Check post #4 out in this thread. I'm not sure if all functions are working properly though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/cr...utton-1430096/
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
bluedeval03
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Check post #4 out in this thread. I'm not sure if all functions are working properly though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/cr...utton-1430096/
Thanks for the info.... I was typing crawl this thread and was coming up with nothing on search.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.