90 YJ coughing & wheezing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 YJ coughing & wheezing

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 YJ coughing & wheezing

Today I finished the install of my CB and 12 volt outlet.

dash.jpg

Afterwards I had to go to the mini mart, and then the grocery store about 5 minutes from home. Since I did the nutter it's run great, until today. When I left home it started right up, but sputtered every time I hit the throttle. I was in the mini mart for about 5 minutes. When I cam out I started it, backed out of my spot and it died. Then I could barely get it to start. Crank crank crank then it finally started to fire...had to keep my foot to the floor for a minute to keep it running and when it finally would run without dying I was able to drive accross thw street to the grocery store. I was in there for 30-45 minutes & was expecting a fight to get it going & drive home. Suprisingly it fired right up & drove home with no problems. Perfect throttle response & plenty of power.

I'm thinking a piece of garbage in the fuel filter or fuel line somewhere. Sound about right or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Unread 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You loaded up the jeep with groceries after realizing it may not start? You're very brave!

I'd test the fuel pressure. Go to autozone and borrow the fuel gauge. Could be your fuel pump is going out. Grab a new fuel filter while you're there. Air filter while you're at it if you haven't done so recently.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

It may have just flooded from heat soak. Common on carbed F head engines. If it doesn't do regularly, don/t sweat it.

Mine will do it on a hot day if I stop for 10 minutes, or so. Stay in the store longer than 30 minutes, and starting is no problem. When it does flood, just do the "flooded engine start procedure" you were taught way back in driver's ed.
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Old4x4, mine will do the same thing from time to time..... Funny, I put what appears to be the exact same 12v power outlet with the usb in the same place last weekend....I took mine apart and drilledéscrewed it to the dash, how did you mount yours*
Unread 08-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A gas filter in upside down can cause symptoms like that. The filter should sit level with the return line up top so on a hot shutdown any vapours produced get blown off the top of the filter back to the tank rather than vapour locking it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just drove to Advance Auto to pick up a new filter. Did the same exact thing, sputtered & coughed on the way there and ran fine on the way home. It's never done this before yesterday. Yes, the fuel filter is installed correctly, I made sure of it when I put everything back together after replacing the exhaust manifold.

Does the fuel pressure guage work with a mechanical fuel pump? I thought that only worked with electric pumps?? The pump could be on it's way out, anything is possible. I knew I shouldn't have fixed all that other stuff.....

I just screwed the 12volt outlet to the underside of the dash. It was a PITA to put it back together while it was mounted in the jeep. I had to move my ashtray/lighter over 3" to the right to get the CB to fit, then just mounted the outlet tight to the right of the ashtray. I was thinking of doing an overhead console for the CB but I would rather not have anything up there when the top is off for the summer. The sound bar is already more than I care for.
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

What kind of shape is the distributor cap and rotor in? Is the gas tank vent hooked up and is the air filter on the vent clear?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
What kind of shape is the distributor cap and rotor in? Is the gas tank vent hooked up and is the air filter on the vent clear?
The cap, rotor, plugs & wires are all new, replaced them when I replaced the exhaust manifold 2 weeks ago. The vent is hooked up, I'll have to make sure it's clear.
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It was a PITA to put it back together while it was mounted in the jeep.
The hardest part I found was getting that damned led back in it's spot......
To check the fuel pressure on a mechanical pump you want a combination fuel pressure/vacuum gauge, i would also advise becoming familiar with the use of a vacuum gauge on a carb'd engine as it can tell you a lot about engine condition and tune.....here is a very good start on the use of a vacuum gauge http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm...
Unread 08-31-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowplowdog View Post
The cap, rotor, plugs & wires are all new, replaced them when I replaced the exhaust manifold 2 weeks ago. The vent is hooked up, I'll have to make sure it's clear.
Good call on the vent line. Yesterday when I was installing the CB I ran my coax wire in that area to the antenna. I zip tied it to the taillight wires and looks as though I got the vent line pinched in there as well. I'm not sure that will solve the problem since I haven't driven it since cutting it free, but tomorrow I will be taking it for a drive and we shall see.
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Found the problem. Electric choke, bad connection. Every time I think I fixed everything the PO did wrong i find something new.
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like those fixes.....they might take a while to find, but cheap to repair... Well done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.