90 yj chevy 5.3 fuel issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 yj chevy 5.3 fuel issues

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
clubtahoe

90 yj chevy 5.3 fuel issues

I put a 2008 chevy 5.3 engine with 4l60e trans in my 1990 jeep wrangler yj. the problem I've found is trying to find a fuel 60 psi pump external. i have the 20 gallon tank with no fuel pump in the tank the original pump was in the carb of the 4.2 that came out.i've looked through the threads i just get a headache of the searching. I'm looking for a good pump to use that is waterproof, electric,60 psi, walboro 255 seems like everybody is using. but i guess i need external because of my sending unit. And are the lines on the tanks unit big enough?Im replacing the frame lines to 3/8 and 5/16. Any help on fuel would be very appreciated thanks!

clubtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Have you thought about using a fuel tank from a 4.0 YJ and use a Chevy pump in it? The pump would swap right in
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In ~2003, Chevy went returnless and built the fuel pressure regulator into the pump. You will only have one line headed all the way to the engine. I'm not 100% sure on size, but whatever stock size was for your engine is what you want. So, your fuel system will be more similar to a TJ 5.3 swap. Pretty universally, the TJ 5.3 guys go with the Walbro 255lph external pump and a WIX 33737 external filter/regulator. Plumb the outlet of the filter/regulator up to your fuel rail, plumb the outlet of your Walbro to the inlet of your WIX, plumb both the Walbro inlet and the return line from the WIX to your fuel tank.
95YJLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

edelbrock makes a external universal sump kit, part # 3605, 60 psi. it uses the factory tank, fuel pump to get the fuel up to the sump, then it pressurizes it up to 60psi for the fuel injection. its pretty neat and ill be using it for the upgrade in my dads old 76 F-150 fuel injection conversion.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
clubtahoe

I appriciate the help in going to look into the ways you brought up. Thanks again!
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 4.2 before my swap with the 20 gal poly tank as well. I just installed a sending unit and pump for an 4.0 Wrangler. As 95YJLS mentioned GM did change the regulation system so you would have to address that. I don't know if a pre-03 fuel rail would fit on an 08 Vortec.

Yes the fittings on the Jeep sending unit are 3/8" supply and 5/16" return.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I had a 4.2 before my swap with the 20 gal poly tank as well. I just installed a sending unit and pump for an 4.0 Wrangler. As 95YJLS mentioned GM did change the regulation system so you would have to address that. I don't know if a pre-03 fuel rail would fit on an 08 Vortec.

Yes the fittings on the Jeep sending unit are 3/8" supply and 5/16" return.
I believe the injectors also changed with the new returnless system. A pre-03 fuel rail would probably work, but I don't know if it would be any easier or cheaper than the WIX filter/regulator (I believe it's from the C6 Vette).

Take a look at Docked_Wage's swap thread over on LS1Tech:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...completed.html

Some of his photos have disappeared But still, lots of good info. He went Walbro 255 & WIX filter/regulator for his setup (an '05 flex fuel engine), and said it worked perfectly.

I have an '02ish plain gas engine, so I'm just going to plumb the stock lines to the new engine, if they will reach, and keep the stock fuel pump until it dies.

LT1Swap is a great resource for wiring & engine info, and he does PCM programming for a reasonable price.

http://lt1swap.com/geniv_harness.htm
http://lt1swap.com/identify_vortec_engine.htm

Also note, with an '08 engine you very likely have Displacement on Demand.
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TJ tank?
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJLS View Post
I have an '02ish plain gas engine, so I'm just going to plumb the stock lines to the new engine, if they will reach, and keep the stock fuel pump until it dies.

You're gonna use the stock YJ lines? The Vortec system needs a 3/8 supply and 5/16 return. Stock YJ is only 5/16 and 1/4 from all the other YJ builds I've seen.

August YJOTM

Unread 09-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can use the poly tank from any 91/95 fuel injected YJ with a regulator that has a return. Easy and cheap. The tank is a bolt in and the pump runs with enough capacity and pressure. The pumps are 60/70 psi which is exactly what you need.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
95YJLS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
You're gonna use the stock YJ lines? The Vortec system needs a 3/8 supply and 5/16 return. Stock YJ is only 5/16 and 1/4 from all the other YJ builds I've seen.
Whoops, I missed that. In that case, I'll reuse the 5/16 and plumb in a new 3/8 supply.
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YJLS View Post
Whoops, I missed that. In that case, I'll reuse the 5/16 and plumb in a new 3/8 supply.
Thats what I did

August YJOTM

Unread 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
clubtahoe

good replies i appreciate it I'm looking at all the options. Want this jeep on the trails soon. Thanks!
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
clubtahoe

Randonexplosion yeah I'm changing the line I'm looking for a in tank pump, probably going to get rid of my existing tank from 1990 going to a mid 90's tank so i can put a walboro 255 in it. not a fan of external pumps
Unread 09-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the poly tank you should be fine, the only difference from -90,91+ is the sending unit/pump. I just picked up a 91+ sending unit and pump and dropped it in.

August YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.