'90 YJ 2.5l rebuild to !Diesel! Newbie Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '90 YJ 2.5l rebuild to !Diesel! Newbie Help!

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
MalcolmM
1990 YJ Wrangler 

'90 YJ 2.5l rebuild to !Diesel! Newbie Help!

Simply stated. Recently bought my '90 YJ with 86k mi. Want to get rid of my '05 SRT-10 and my '99 Firebird and concentrate on one all-around monster. i.e. bestial Diesel Jeep!
I'm planning to rip up the YJ (which runs perfectly fine) and part it out, but keep the frame to work from for this build.
Unfortunately that's about as far as I get. I really want this to be a project that I do, and I've got some tech-savy friends that can help me. But I need to know where to start dumping my money in order to get this build going.
I figure the bottom up is the best way to go; especially considering I don't have a great garage to work out of.
But I would like to know a little about some diesel engines you'd suggest as well as where I could get the conversion kits (or what I have to cut/weld/mod). I also don't know how the weight will translate into required axle support, or any of that as a matter of fact.
So let's just assume I'm a super dummy and would like some advice despite my staggering incompetance!
Thanks in advance for all your help/critisim/etc.

MalcolmM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
YJay92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cummins 4bt, google 4bt into a YJ and you will find lots of writeups. Thats the next engine going in my YJ.
1992 YJ, 4.0, auto, HP D30 w/TJ chromolys, 8.8 LSD, 4.10s, AA SYE, Tom Woods shaft, 5" lift, 35" MTZ's, 12k winch, Mark VIII fan, 136 amp alternator, TJ flares, custom snorkel and rock rails, no track bars or sway bar
YJay92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

Yep, BT4 is the diesel of choice. Mercedes made some good old diesels too. They were 300D models. If you can have your trans-of-choice adapted, they're bulletproof motors and a lot cheaper.

All said, you're gonna be bored with a diesel from an SRT-10. Buddy had a BT4 in his TJ, and it made a bit more power and doubled his mileage... but it wasn't mind-blowing.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
MalcolmM
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bored? Never!

I know I can't expect the same, but everything about a Jeep is so much more appealing to me. The turn radius alone is nothing to scoff at.
Park a four door SRT-10 50 times and tell me you don't miss your Jeep!
But I'm just looking for a daily driver with a little pick-me-up and the ability to do pretty much anything. The MPGs will also be a big plus, as my Viper gets 10.7mpg based on my fuel monitor.
We'll see how things go. I may keep the SRT-10. But between the Jeep (once diesel), the truck, and my sport bike, I'm pretty sure there won't be much I can't do.
Thank you both for the input and help! I feel like I've learned a shoot ton already!
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

You need to check out this website. More information than you can shake a stick at, and there are a few jeep guys on there who swapped them into YJs already, so there is some precedence to follow.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Douglas S.

Cummins B3.3T

Far better for a Jeep than the 4bt.

You can adapt it to the ax-15, it doesn't weigh 800 pounds, and it puts out plenty of power.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
MalcolmM
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ignorance is not always bliss :/

Would it be awful to ask what would make the 3.3 a better candidate than the 4bt?
Is it only the weight?
I suppose I should look it up, but I wonder what the stock power vs reasonably increased power gain is different in the 3.3 vs the 4.0...
Or is there some other efficiency issue I'm too new/inexperienced/toolish to realize?
As I've said I plan to use the time I have to make this project a success. Which means figuring out exactly what I want the end result to be before I start buying.
Thank you!
'99 Firebird (Trying to sell)
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Douglas S.

See my edit above. A B3.3T is a Cummins turbo-diesel. Stock it has 85 hp, 215 ft lbs. It can be easily tweaked to 300+ ft lbs and 130 hp with minor adjustments and modifications.

Approx. 35-40mpg in a YJ.
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
MalcolmM
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dang, you saw my stupid post before I could edit it.
Sounds like a great deal as far as mpgs at least.
I imagine it will then still have a comprable effect on the drivetrain & axle?
If you're tired of answering questions I'm sure I could use a 4bt build from the website only with a 3.3t in exchange as far as engine right? Oh, and are the engines comprably sized so as to fit the same chevy engine mount kit?
Thank you again!
'99 Firebird (Trying to sell)
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Douglas S.

It will be easier on the drivetrain than a 4bt.

Instead of me trying to answer questions I'll show you where I learned what I know about them.

Warning: long read

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/b3-3t-jeep-yj-t112807.html

Tags
diesel , newbie , swap , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.