90 wrangler with fI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 wrangler with fI

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
jpsmith1017
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 wrangler with fI

I recently got a 1990 jeep wrangler. Ultimately someone had put a redline fuel system in it. I have ZERO experience with FI and the manufacturer has not helped much even though he said he would send me all the software and specs for this system. He isnt sending anything so i plan on switching back to a carb because this is my daily driver at this point and it runs really poorly and has an extremely hard time starting. If anyone has any input on this it would be helpful. Maybe another option? Thanks

jpsmith1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Have you went to the web site. Looks like every thing is right there for you to get without waiting.
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Fue...n_software.htm
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Fue..._Contents1.htm
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A throttle body fuel injection system is really pretty simple and I would stronly urge you to educate yourself before giving up and going back to a carburetor. The redline system has its own ecu with a built in map sensor, but it works just like any other throttle body system. You basically have a throttle body with injectors in it adapted to your intake manifold and connected to your accelerator and fuel pump (throttle body systems use higher pressure than the mechanical pump on our 4.2 so you will have an electric pump adapted). Your throttle body will probably have an integral Idle Air Control Valve, IAC, which sets the throttle plates at a specific setting at a certain rpm. The injectors get a signal from the ecu and put measured amounts of fuel into the intake. the injectors will vary the fuel based upon the signals from the ecu. The ecu calculates the amount of fuel based upon feedback from the O2 sensor (the O2 sensor determines whether or not the fuel air mixture is above or below 14.7 to 1 and then signals to the ecu to increase or decrease the amount of fuel), the map sensor (The manifold absolute pressure sensor provides instantaneous manifold pressure information to the engine's electronic control unit. The data is used to calculate air density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which in turn determines the required fuel metering for optimum combustion and influence the advance or retard of ignition timing), a temp sensor (which just tells the ecu to go into open or closed loop based upon whether the engine is warmed to operating temp). All this is connected to a wiring harness that feeds everything, which usually has a few relays so the pump only runs when the engine is in start or run. Most systems (and I'd have to look at the redline closely to see if it controls spark too) can control ignition and will advance or retard the ignition spark as necessary to prevent knock (which is sensed by a knock sensor if set up that way, usually optional), and will adjust things as you coast down or decelerate by use of a velocity speed sensor (again optional in most systems). Pretty simple when you boil it down to its component parts and what they do.

I'm sure your redline system has some sort of coding that it will throw off that will help you to diagnose any problem. Again, take some time to learn about fuel injection and you should be able to easily enough fix whatever has gone wrong with your system. Good luck.

and btw, the first thing I would start looking for would be some sort of vacum leak to the integral map sensor. That has been the only problem I've experienced yet with my fuel injection system, and that was because the line flopped loose and burned a hole in it from contact with the intake manifold.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
jpsmith1017
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to keep it as I have heard nothing but praise for a fuel injection systems. Besides it being a shame to pull off such a nice setup.
I have tried to download the software from Weber and have called them repeatedly. The only guy that takes care of this kit although nice and helpful still has not sent anything he said he would. He did mention I could remove the box and send it to him for reprogramming but thats not possible. I dont know if I would do that even if I could at this point.
The website downloads dont work and I dont have cables to go to the box at this time. Where would I get cables how can I get software? thanks again
jpsmith1017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

This issue seems above your head. Get someone else to help you. The cables can be made or bought at Radio shack or best buy or walmart sometimes. The software is there, I downloaded it. You will need a computer system that has communication software to talk to the box. I use Procomm Plus so I can get in and download the files and see into the box. But you should have a diagnostic port on there that takes the same scanner Autozone uses. They are cheap to pick up. Allows you to read the faults.
Again its a simple system if you got tools, same as setting up a carb,. If you got the right tools its easy.
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

looking quickly at the software requirements you will need a 9 pin serial connector to connect up to the Redline system, and whatever port/type communications connector you have on your computer end, probably a USB. A cheap serial to usb connector cable costs like $5 and is readily available at nearly any computer place, radio shack, office dept etc. Like Jeepsr4me said, the software is there in the links, though the manuals seem lacking imo. You can download the software and connect to their system and see what you got, and then they should be able to guide you through. I say download the software and give it a shot. For a nominal amount you should be up and able to look at real time data, or at the very least get some guidance on how to get the software running. here are the computer requirements for hooking up to the system

The ECU system programming software [ECU.EXE] has the following Hardware/Software Requirements in order to
operate correctly:
A) IBM PC Compatible using a Pentium 90mhz processor or better.
B) A 32 bit Operating system, [WINDOW 95 OSR 2.0 or greater, WINDOWS 98, NT v3.51+, Millennia Edition, 2000 and XP]. Note: Windows 95 Revision 4.00.00A may require some additional files to operate correctly…
C) At least 4MB of CPU RAM.
D) At Least 4MB available Hard Disk storage.
E) 9 pin serial [RS 232] port.
F) 16550 or compatible UART [one that has at least 16 bytes FIFO memory].
G) 1024 x 768 VGA graphics mode, 800x600 screen resolution minimum.

those requirements are pretty basic and most any newish (and a lot of older) laptops would fit the bill. Give it a shot, for under $10 out of pocket and some time what do you have to lose?

BTW, I followed the links above and was able to download several versions of software. I didn't go thru the setup cause I don't want it, but the downloads work just fine. I'm not sure, but I don't think you will even need any other software other than the downloaded stuff to talk to the redline box, not contradicting Jeepsr4me, but this proprietary stuff is different than talking to the OBD ports. I believe it will work by itself
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me

Yes you should be able to connect with the software above. I should have put in my above post that it MAY have a port that uses the scanner. I just have a Pro version to hack into main frames and other systems. I use it for cellular site up loads. But its software can be used to talk to just about anything.. May look funny when I do, but it gets me in. And its on a 95 computer laptop....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.