90 jeep yj clutch issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 jeep yj clutch issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 jeep yj clutch issue

So I just picked up another yj with the 4.2 manual trans, and here is the issue I need advice on. The clutch doesn't engage, I can shift through the gears with the jeep running and not pressing the clutch, I replaced the clutch master cylinder because the pedal went to the floor, now it's firmer but still kind of soft. Still doesn't engage, and the PO either disconnected or didn't realize it was but the transfer case shift linkage is disconnected so the lever movers freely. Here is my question before I tear out the trans- if the tcase is in neutral will I be able to shift freely without pressing the clutch? I didn't hook up the linkage yet but figured I would ask around first. I bought a new clutch and slave and am ready to do it but can this happen with the tcase in neutral(assuming it is since I don't know yet)

mzimerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimerf View Post
Here is my question, if the tcase is in neutral will I be able to shift freely without pressing the clutch? I didn't hook up the linkage yet but figured I would ask around first. I bought a new clutch and slave and am ready to do it but can this happen with the tcase in neutral(assuming it is since I don't know yet)
No, having the transfer case in Neutral would not allow you to shift freely between the gears without depressing the clutch. With the engine running, the cluster shaft is being spun by the input shaft regardless of which gear (or none, if in Neutral) might be selected. Depressing the clutch will reduce the load and allow shifting. Not depressing the clutch would causing grinding while shifting, even with the transfer case in Neutral.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Only way youd be able to run through all the gears without clutch and engine running is if clutch disc is toast. Only seen this a cpl times and when we dropped the tranny, the clutch disc was powder and pieces and the flywheel was pretty blue (as the clutch gets worse and worse it slips more and more, making LOTS of heat).

If you dont replace flywheel, at least have it surfaced with a stone and not on a brake lathe.
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea no grinding. I can shift through without pressing the clutch. I guess trans will be removed and well see what it looks like. Thanks for the help
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea no grinding. I can shift through without pressing the clutch. I guess trans will be removed and well see what it looks like. Thanks for the help
pics!
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The trans is one broken bolt away from coming out. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank jeep for using two star bolts at the top of the trans and me stripping one to the point that even an easy out didn't work. So now I cut a small hole in the trans tunnel to cut the bolt head off with a dremel. Pics on the way
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So now I cut a small hole in the trans tunnel to cut the bolt head off with a dremel. Pics on the way
cant get to it with shifter & boot off and transmission hanging down a bit?
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

get an e-12 socket.. and get it from the top through the shift boot area.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's too late. The bolt is stripped. The boot is off and the trans is tilted down as far as I can get it. It's coming out tomorrow so ill take some pics of the Bucher job I did on the bolt.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did unscrew the other one through the top btw just didn't have that luck with the second one
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well the trans came out today and guess what I found-- a mouse nest made of my carpet in the bell housing. The slave cylinder is the culprit here while the clutch looks great and so does the flywheel and pressure plate. I think the carpet chunks and the mouse pee and poop got into the slave cylinder and seized it cause it didn't move at all it was locked up. U think the PO got screwed at a shop cause the slave looks original and 148k on the clock this thing finally crapped out.
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got to working on it today and the old pilot bearing is not coming out since it was never replaced. Ill have to cut it out and get that new one in. Here is a question tho about the exhaust. I removed it for now and it has these two thin exhaust tubes that go to some sort of vacuum controls and then to the air box. Can I get rid of them? Il has no emissions so I don't care about that but will it change the way it runs since I assume it circulates the hot exhaust to warm the motor in the winter
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have u tried a pilot bearing remover attachment to a slide hammer? Id be leery of cutting it so quickly. Soak with penetrating oil? Torch? Hows the surface look? Could have machine shop remove it when u have resurfaced.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDinTX View Post
Have u tried a pilot bearing remover attachment to a slide hammer? Id be leery of cutting it so quickly. Soak with penetrating oil? Torch? Hows the surface look? Could have machine shop remove it when u have resurfaced.

OP has the 6 cylinder. The pilot bearing is in the crankshaft, not in the flywheel.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max

OP has the 6 cylinder. The pilot bearing is in the crankshaft, not in the flywheel.

Max
Ahhhhh. Sry.

'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.