90 with Electric Fuel Pump Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 with Electric Fuel Pump Question

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

90 with Electric Fuel Pump Question

So I took my gas tank off to replace rollover Valve and the jeep was setting for about 1 month tonight I put everything back together fuel pump is working but is not pick up fuel do I have to prime it first? thanks.

FYI.

I check the pick up and return line and everything is correct.

spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
cevans87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like you have the lines criss crossed... and no you don't have to prime it first
Built Not Bought #447, 1992 Jeep XJ Supercharged 4.7, 1988 Jeep YJ Auto 4.2L, 2008 Commander Limited HEMI, 1990 Jeep YJ 4.7L Fuel Injected AW4, 1981 Scrambler 304 Auto

I Am The Jeep Surgeon!!!
cevans87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I took the fuel tank off again and remove the pick up line and return line put both in gas(small bottle) and not picking up fuel. confuse here.
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the pickup tube is in the tank. Both lines that are external would pull no fuel from a bottle. Its possible that the bottom of your pickup tube sock is missing and not touching the fuel in the tank to pick it up. Not to be an a-----e but the pump runs when you turn on the key correct?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
spawnofsatan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
the pickup tube is in the tank. Both lines that are external would pull no fuel from a bottle. Its possible that the bottom of your pickup tube sock is missing and not touching the fuel in the tank to pick it up. Not to be an a-----e but the pump runs when you turn on the key correct?
Orig my 90 had a Mechanical fuel pump I replace it with electric one (External) mounted in the frame next to the fuel tank so I figure that if I put the pick up ad return line to see whats happening.
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

elect pump on the frame might need primed. Mine didn't but I was lucky. Mech pumps don't need primed just lots of cranking to get fuel the 12 feet to the pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.