90 to a 95 block swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 90 to a 95 block swap.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
gkinder

90 to a 95 block swap.

Hey all, great site with a ton of info!

I recently purchase a 1990 yj with a 2.5 that had really bad blow by. I almost wanted to hook a whistle up to the oil cap just to hear the tune it would play.

I found a 1995 2.5 out of a wrangler for dirt cheap, and always wanted to try my hand at a rebuild. All seemed to go well, it turned out this newer engine had already been rebuilt. I didn't touch the cam, crank or timing chain. Replaced the rod bearings and oil pump closed her up and swapped all my 90's parts onto it.

I read somewhere that the 90 flywheel and the 95 were not interchangeable so I bought a new 95 flywheel. It looked identical to the 90. Regardless I installed it, dropped the engine in. Everything hooked right up with no issues.

Problem is there is no fuel whatsoever entering the intake. 20 seconds bursts of trying to start it 4 times with a little rest in between and the intake is bone dry. I am thinking I may have made a mistake using the newer flywheel because the crank position sensor is also different between 90 and 95.

Any suggestions?

gkinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The flywheel story is a bit confusing. Your original idea of simply swapping everything over to the new engine was a great idea, including the flywheel.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe its nothing to do with the flywheel as you stated they looked identical. If the crank sensor notches were the same, then you should be good there. Seems like you may just have a fuel delivery problem unrelated to the flywheel.
If the crank sensor notches were located differently, then that's a problem.
Unread 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
gkinder

Just got a second pair of hands to help me and there is no spark either. There's a ton of things to check now so first thing in the morning I'll be back under there.
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
gkinder

Today I will begin removing the engine to swap the flywheel back to the original. I hate that I have to do it but it was a great learning experience as far as crank position sensors go. I come from a different time when these sort of sensors didn't exist.
When I said the flywheels looked identical I was referring to the teeth and diameter. I didn't realize that the monster plate attached to the flywheel was something that needed attention. The 90 flywheel reads 12 notches before TDC and the 95 reads 4 notches to determine TDC.

Fingers Crossed.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Theres no question that if the crank sensor notches are wrong on the flywheel for your jeep, you will not be going anywhere with it. It wont work. You can just pull the transmission out, probably not necessary to pull the whole engine again, unless its easier for you to do it that way.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

Yep, you needed the 90 fly wheel to sequence the crank sensor correctly. The 90 is a TBI so you are dealing with 1 injector, when the 95 is MPFI so you are syncing 4 injectors. The crank sensor is used for injector pulses.....but I guess you figured it out before MSF and I posted.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
gkinder

I just disconnected the starter remove the motor mounts and some of the vacuum lines that didn't have a lot of stretching room and parted the engine and trans enough to drop the flywheel out... Now just need to wait till I get a second pair of hands to hold the crank still to get the flywheel off.
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
gkinder

She's 100% now! Switched the flywheel back to the 90 and it fired right up!
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good work! I made the exact same mistake when I swapped engines. It was a big slap in the face at the end because swapping flywheels while the engine is out is a 5 minute job.
Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
stumped6869
1990 YJ Wrangler 

o crap looks like im pulling mine also I figured as much when I had no spark after testing the cps ohms errrrrrrr here I go again five minutes would have been great over few hour job lol
stumped6869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.