89yj,Howell Fuel inj-smog shop blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89yj,Howell Fuel inj-smog shop blues

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89yj,Howell Fuel inj-smog shop blues

I installed 2 years ago on my 89 jeep wrangler the massive pain in the arse Part # CA/YJ258 howell fule inj kit Emissions legal. (I love my kit now but what a nightmare to install and dial in.)

Well I live in central valley Ca, (Fresno, Clovis area) and no smog shop here will touch this *****.

I get either the tires are too big (no they are 35) and it will no pass the rmp rules.

or I get, "its missing the thermostatic air cleaner" I explain to these dumb shops yes its missing it because its no longer a carbureted engine. Its now a fuel injected engine.
Well the won't do it. The rules say no emission parts can be removed from the vehicle so with out the stock air cleaner it fails visual.

If anyone in my area has this kit and a smog shop with a brain please post here or pm me.

I had a guy in Bakersfield (2hours one way) help me fine tune this kit and he smoged it. If he's still in biz I can take it there but if I don't have to drive 4 hours round trip for a freaking smog it would be nice.

I think I may have to see a smog ref and get it okayed maybe. I'm at a loss.

tommbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The first time I did mine after the install I took the instructions with me and walked the guy all through it. Not a busy day and we got through it but I did have to visit 2-3 shops to get it done. You have to talk to them like children. If you get pushy they immediately think you are trying to put one over on them and they refuse to go further.

As I recall there is an air cleaner part number specified in the instructions. I used one from a chevy 4.3 and it looks like it belongs on there and from my reading of the EO for this kit it is legal. For smog I put on the manifold air tube, even though it does nothing.

There is no reason to go to a referee since it is CARB approved but it might be easier in the long run.

Curious what problems you had. I did nothing and it worked perfect immediately. But I did have the MAP sensor go bad after just a month or so.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty air cleaner bolty.

I was lucky that my smog guy knows about the Howell kit. He was actually impressed when I said that's how I solved my smog problem.

I did bring the information that said it was smog legal. I also brought the information for the vacuum lines just Incase he had any questions.

But do what he said. Walk them through it and you'll get it done. Especially with the part numbers from your kit. The only thing you can't show them is the prom in the computer and that's only because you gotta take it apart.
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

actually the only guy that was half way cool was the guy who does all my other cars. I did walk him like a child but he just would not grasp the idea that its not a carbureted engine, and he had 2 other tech's making comments about the valve cover breather tube ring that goes under the kit supplied K&N air cleaner. Also had all the stickers and vac diagrams etc. I went to him fist because all my vehicles have either headers, air raids, chips or large tires. Just depends on the pig I'm smoging that day.

Two other shops were same thing and the 4th said the tires were too big. NONE of the shops had any interest of putting the carb#'s in computer to verify it. They just saw air cleaner and the breather ring.

@Jbolty, I had a number of issues but the main problem was the HEI dizzy sam's off road sold me, it was china junk.. It would not run under load no matter how much I played with the vac advance. I had already removed the stock dizzy and control box wiring so I had no choice but to invest another $500 in msd digital box, Mallory dizzy, and coil. (have the carb stickers for all of it even the pace header)
Even after all that it, it no longer smelled bad coming out the pipe like it did when it was carbureted but it ran poochy just very flat response. So after 1000's of calls to Howell I finally got them to tell me who in my area was experienced installer of the kit to fine tune timing and air mix because it was working fine, just not running smooth and like I said it had a flat throttle response.
Soooooo I ended up in Bakersfield, the guy there had it running tits up and smoged in 2 days time. Now its perfect just dealing with stupid smog stations 2 years later.

Last edited by tommbstone; 06-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: info
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I live in south east fresno,howell kit smog leagle. Have never had an issue with smog.if you would like to send a pm,i might be able to help
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

PM sent butch i'll call you in just a bit. Lots of smog shops on that street. And I live in Clovis

here is pic of what the kit looks like with supplied air cleaner.
1.jpg   w.jpg  
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You might just want to see a smog ref to make it easier smogging the Jeep in the future.

Off topic, but holy crap theres a lot of guys from Fresno here. I'm jealous that you guys are so close to Dusy.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

@LJameson
Acutally I don't have a club or enough guys to go with. Most got married or have kids and I get to go to shaver about 1-2 times a summer IF that now.

Wanted to go to Holister but I though last weekend holiday would be a bit too crowded. Anyway if there is a group of guys from here that go PM me and we'll exchange numbers etc.
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya. The bad part is my grandfather owns a cabin up in shaver, so all it costs me to go there is gas. But I swear between work and stuff that needs to get done around the house I haven't had time to go up there a lot. Plus, I don't have my TJ anymore, and my YJ isn't exactly trail worthy yet so I have to put some work into that before I can actually do some wheeling with it. I doubt it could make it up to Bald mountain, much less try to go on Dusy.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hahah bald mountain is pretty borning. I mean when you see a line of $80k range rovers going down the trail you know your in the wrong place.
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to invite both of you to the 4 wheel club of fresno,and if yoi would like ,i wheel with a bunch of scouts,would be nice to even out the score with a few more jeeps....lol
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

as soon as trail opens i would be game for a run with your group and if you like me i'd prospect.

I've not been able to call yet stupid job is holding me over. I'll call tomorrow sir.

thx
Tomi
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow would be good
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, did this go off track.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It did,pm was sent. We on another track.....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.