89 YJ Wiper Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Wiper Woes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
mgfi26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ Wiper Woes

I attribute this problem mostly to my lack of waving at other jeep drivers as they pass and happily wave. So, if anyone can help me with this issue I promise to return the wave for a period of at least two weeks. Problem - Wipers not working. Symptoms - Turn on switch and nothing. What I have done so far - Checked fuse, checked circuit breaker (assuming normally closed, good continuity good) Jumpered motor directly to battery, motor turns, When I check the incoming wires, assuming green is ground, black and white are high and low power I get -12v at both. I'm not real sure if the last part is correct regarding the high and low power but I'm definitely getting -12v instead of just 12v. This is the part that has me a little confused. Anyway, any help is appreciated and will be returned with happy jeep waves.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by mgfi26; 10-24-2011 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
mgfi26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

See wiring diagram in this thread. At the motor white is low, red is high, black is ground. Green and blue have to do with parking feature.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-wires-628552/
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
mgfi26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I did forget to mention that I also used the ground direct to the battery and came up with -12v. That's what I don't usnderstand, why I'm getting a reading of -12v?

Thanks!
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you have intermittent wipers, there is a module that is plugged in-line in the wiper harness under the dash. (IIRC, it is velcroed to a flat piece of metal under the dash left of steering column).

Pull the wiring down and remove the intermittent box, then just plug the harness back together without the box. See if your wipers work now. You should have OFF- LOW- HIGH and park.

These boxes give problems, though it is often just 20+ year old connectors that are gunked up, a good cleaning often makes them work again.
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
mgfi26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I knew there was a module and was looking for it earlier. When you said velcro, that helped me find it. I removed it and plugged the two harnesses together directly and that did it. Now though, the motor runs but the wipers don't move. I'm assuming there is a stripped gear or at least improper connection mechanically. Will have to check tomorrow, too tired tonight. Thanks for the help though!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.