89 YJ - Where does this hose go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ - Where does this hose go?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ - Where does this hose go?

Greetings all,

I've got an '89 2.5 with a narrow but long hose hanging out of the rear driver's side wheel well. It is attached inside the well and the other end has what looks like a plastic nipple inserted into the end. I'm guessing it is fuel-breather-valve related but I can't find any descriptions\pictures of this line much less where it attaches. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any suggestions?

TIA

Cooper13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It could be the vacuum line to the charcoal canister. Does your windshield washer work?
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't checked the washer. Didn't even cross my mind. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That hose is your rear axle vent line.
It should be attached to the nipple on the axle wher the flexible brae line attaches to the "T" block on axle.
The vent hose slips onto the vertical nipple there.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ahhh..Rear drivers side...Yes! Kloppk is correct! I need to read these posts 3x from now on.....forget my pointless suggestions....
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Ahhh..Rear drivers side...Yes! Kloppk is correct! I need to read these posts 3x from now on.....forget my pointless suggestions....
that's funny, I made the same mistake, lol.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks kloppk, I'll see if I can's get it squared away.

No worries Burnerman, I didn't get why the washer would be attached way back there but...
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not seeing an opening in my brake line connector dohickey so I took a couple pics. The first shows where it is connected behind the left rear wheel well and the plastic nipple.

Following kloppk's lead I checked out the rear axle and associated lines. Looks OK but here's a pic

TIA
I try like a sun of a gun but I'm less than proficient as a mechanic so if you have an idea, speak slowly...
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

I can't tell for sure, but that sort of looks like the vent hose for the transfer case.
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well. There is the vent off the rear axle. It's the only rubber hose off the axle and it runs up and is supposed to be screw clamped up on the metal by the fuel filler hoses. The only other hoses are the vents for the fuel tank. There are 2 rolover vent lines off of the top of the 20 gal plastic tank. They connect to a tee fitting on the drivers side top of the fuel tank and then one line runs over the crossmember in front of the fuel tank and connects to a smal stell line that runs to the charcoal canister. I circled the valves and line in red. The tee has the arrow pointing to it. That maybe where your line is supposed to go to.
fuel-tank.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
mike_b_ar
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
It could be the vacuum line to the charcoal canister. Does your windshield washer work?
Okay, maybe a dumb question here, but what does a vacuum tube to the charcoal canister have to do with windshield washer? I ask because my washer doesn't work.
mike_b_ar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Cooper13
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Burnerman, looks like I'll be dropping my gas tank. Thank the gods for PB Blaster. Those nuts haven't come off in 21 years.
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadkins View Post
Thanks Burnerman, looks like I'll be dropping my gas tank. Thank the gods for PB Blaster. Those nuts haven't come off in 21 years.
just follow it back first to make sure. No sense dropping the tank if that's not it. I figure you already did that, but thought I should mention it just in case.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_b_ar View Post
Okay, maybe a dumb question here, but what does a vacuum tube to the charcoal canister have to do with windshield washer? I ask because my washer doesn't work.
When I first read his post I thought he meant the drivers side FRONT of the Jeep. My mistake.The washer bottle is mounted on the rear of the front fender. If the hose broke off the pump the hose would hang and leave the plastic piece from the pump in the end. On the FI 4.0's you can remove 1 screw and slide the washer bottle up and out ( it takes some wiggling). Then you can get to the pump and the connections. If your Jeep has a rear wiper for thehardtop there will be 2 pumps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.