89 YJ Vapor Canister question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 YJ Vapor Canister question...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
wrangleryj89jp
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ Vapor Canister question...

I am trying to get my jeep running less rich and more stable... As of right now I am sucking gas completely. To the point where I'm getting 8 mpg to a 4 banger. One of the things I am looking at for emmissions before I check valves in the engine is the small things like the vapor canister. I hear they can get clogged. Is there anyway I can use the vapor canister off of a 1991 YJ and splice it in to a 1989 YJ... or will that not work? I know the cars are a lot the same, but there are some differences. The vapor canisters from the two years of Jeeps are slightly different in looks, and just would like to know more about the difference between the two...

I replaced the vapor canister filter, because I was able to find it at the auto parts store.. But the actual canister itself for an 89 is discontinued from everywhere...

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

wrangleryj89jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you already replaced the filter that is more than most folks do. If it is working no issues they don't clog that often. I had mine apart cleaned it all up and good to go save the work for something else.

Tyhe hard part is getting all the old rubber lines replaced and that will go a long way to making sure it is working properly.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you get one for a 1991, there is a plugged up place that you can drill out so that it will work. It was a few years ago, so I don't remember the details, but when you put the two side by side it will be pretty obvious what to do (and there is a thread somewhere that explains it).
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.