89 yj testing fuel pump help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 89 yj testing fuel pump help!!!

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
wranglercall

89 yj testing fuel pump help!!!

Ok last year in the first week of january i drove this thing 89 4 cyl yj. out of town bout 30 miles and it just shut off. so i am trying to check the wiring to the fuel pump before i do anything else.

I've taken a few photos. i hear there is suppose to be a ground near the e-brake or e-brake release that is from the fuel pump/sender unit.
i cant find it any where can someone point it out on my photo or maybe take a photo of there own?

i think i have found the plug in the back near the rearwheel,frame,tank area
i took a photo of that too. I just don't know which one is the pwr and for what fuel pump or sender unit and then which is ground.

the fuel is plus grade but has been in it for over a year. should i drain it?
if so how? if so how do you dispose of gasoline?

TY ahead of time.

sdc13383.jpg   sdc13384-copy.jpg   sdc13386.jpg  
wranglercall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
wranglercall

please help
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump connector has 3 wires:
Blk/Yl ground
Tn fuel level sender
Or power

Power cycles on and off to the fuel pump when you first turn the key to on to pressurise the fuel rail. You should hear it. The fuel pump relay is the one on the right side of the battery tray. The ground is located near the parking brake release, just look for the wire color. If it is just the fuel pump gone bad then you should be able to squirt starter fluid into the throttle body and it will crank. Did you check to see if you have spark at the spark plugs? I would bet that you have an issue someplace else if it was running and just cut out. Did you check the fuseable links that are in the front?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...e-loss-809280/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
wranglercall

i don't know what Tn is.. but in the photo of the plug for fuel pump...
black yellow is ground.
what are the other two? one has orange and one has red i think.
obviously they are power but which is sender and which is pump.??
or are you saying orange is power and the other is what?
if thats the case then the orange powers both sender unit and fuel pump?
or sender unit does not need power? the rail last time i checked was pressurized.
but last time was almost year ago right after it stopped. so let me test it again.
i just want to make sure which wire on that plug to test if its getting power back
there at all. and that the ground is good as i cannot find the ground in the cab at all.
the one supposedly on the ebrake... i know of no relays on right side of battery tray.
there are 2 relays to the left. on the pass. side. as you can see in photo the e-brake
release has no obvious grounds that are stock that i can tell. how do you check the
fuseable links? i find only 1 in this 89. its canadian.. idk if that makes anything different.
but i cant find the ground on e brake release at all..

when i poured gas into throttle body it ran.. 20 seconds max.
i just want to check to make sure power is getting to the pump.
and that ground is ok at pump. or for now.. the plug for pump.. the one pictured.
i just don't know exactly how to do it . I have a light tester. i don't want to mess it up.

3 vehicles last year all did this same thing. 1 crownvic. power was not getting to fuel pump,
had to run new wire to pump. 1 buick was not getting power to fuel pump. had to replace wire.
and this one.. yet to be determined.

also if you could tell me how to check a fusable link. i opened the only one i could find by the battery.
i open it nothings burned or broke looking.. but i don't know wth i'm suppose to be seeing in the first place.

also how to get gas out if i should remove and not use after 1 year of sitting.. also where to dispose of it?

Que89yj did you look at the photos at all? can you see a ground on the e brake???? and what is that mystery relay that no one in town at auto shop can tell me what it is?
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
wranglercall

i figure i should probally stick light tester into black wire at plug and then what the one on B or C in photo?
or will not upplugging this plug and testing with test light somehow damage system?

and again to be clear for now i just want to know which wire is which in the first photo... they are clearly labeled A B C ...

I first want to test ground and pwr is there thats all for now...
then i'd like to know gas in it has sat in tank.. its full! for over a year. plus grade.
should i risk trying to start it with that crap or drain it.
. if i should drain it how?
if i drain how do you legally dispose of it.???

and a possible awnser to .. ebrake fuel pump ground question in the last photo..
where the hell is it suppose to be. its a cluster kufc under there and i don't see anything
that resembles a stock ground wire except one ran accross for radio.. and lights..
maybe its missing or maybe canadian jeeps moved grounding location?
Unread 03-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at my FSM for the 95 but it looks like some of the wire colors are different.. But according to the FSM, the Black/Orange is the ground.. But the other colors for me are Dark Green/Black which is for the Fuel relay pump and a Dark Brown which is for the sending unit.. What I would do is take test light and start testing. What you can do is put the negative side on a good ground and start testing.. A test light shouldn't hurt anything... Since you are just grounding it out but powering an LED... Sorry I am not more help on this..
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tan is TN. You want the Orange and the Black.
If you have an 89 then you should have 2 relays to the right. One is the fuel pump relay and the other is the B+ latch relay for the Idle motor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...start-1192167/

Jumper pin 30 to 87 on the fuel pump relay. It will have an orange wire on it:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl295a-lib.htm

That will power the pump and then check for power across the orange and black in the rear at the pump connector. If you don't have power check the orange wire with the meter or test light grounded to the chasis.
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
wranglercall

nope no relays to the right. to the left yes. on the passenger side of the battery.

ok so today i added a ground wire from batt. to frame as there were none before..
i couldnt figure out where to steal power with alligator clip on test light to test the ground
on pump plug (first picture) but i was able to test the power and the results are as follows.
keep in mind the batt. dies immediatley after trying Start mode with key.

key turned to on position: test light lights for 1 second.
key turned to Start position : test light lights for 1 second fades out with batt.

i did some investigative work and found someone had jumped power in the fusebox
from the live side to pwr a cb radio. i jumped pwr from cb radio to lights on roofrack.
i noticed the switch wire for lights was burned. so i followed it. it has blown the live side
where the fuse goes for the HTR/Fan fuse slot. i'm wondering if that paticular fuse could
be causing this/ ? probally not. how should i repair that? wire from batt to fuse thru firewall to in-line
fuse to the fused side on the fuse box? anyways still wondering if i should drain that gas.
seems this tank will be a b to drop. skid plate bolts are rusted pretty well. i'm not dropping the tank yet though.
ill wait for some replys ttyl guys and thank you for helping.
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the pics in the links. Is it an 89 or a 94.
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
wranglercall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Look at the pics in the links. Is it an 89 or a 94.
um what pics?the pic of the red jeep with two relays on the left?
thats the same jeep i'm working on. same exact jeep. yes it is a 89.
I haven't been able to get it started since i created that first post.
i can start it for a bit when i put gas in throttle body.
this jeep is the first throttle body i've ever seen.
anyways did you see that i tested with light tester?
with those results could it still be arelay? are you trying to tell
me the 2 relays to pass side of batt. are not fuel pump relay?
whats the relay under dash the 3rd photo on this post?
photos work best with me .. if you could find one and post it.
i would understand right away
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I was talking about this post:

and this pic:

The one relay is the fuel pump and the other is the B+ latch relay for you idle motor. You need to check power on that relay.
89-relays.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
wranglercall

Quote:
I was talking about this post:

and this pic:

The one relay is the fuel pump and the other is the B+ latch relay for you idle motor. You need to check power on that relay.
ok so the top one is fuel pump?
bottom one is b
+ relay.. which one do i check?
the other post one of the guys said something about checking the
relay the numbers i understand but the term... jumper you need to jump the realys.. idk what he meant at all.

but that other post is mine i forgot i had ever made it. so i'm heading over there.
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pm sent. Call me.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
wranglercall

Quote:
Pm sent. Call me.

its a bit late tonight. so i'll give ya a ring tomarrow.
i'm on the road all day tomarrow buying/selling jeep
tops. trying to start a buisness.

Tags
fuel pump , ground wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.