'89 YJ Sahara build thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 YJ Sahara build thread

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #76
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its cool man. We actually did a pretty crappy job painting it. Lookin back it would have been better to do a frame off but we don't exactly have the equipment for that. We also didn't do the engine bay like you had said and the doors. We only got the outside of them. Usually my dad and I are pretty meticulous (or at least I am) but he seemed pretty set on the way we were gonna paint it so that is how we did it. I didn't really wanna say otherwise cause I have no room to talk. It's not like I am some painting expert or something. Didn't do the roll cage either for some dumb reason. We also did the hinges at a different time than the rest so it came out darker on those parts. Try to keep a count of how many coats you do and keep it the same for all the parts. Once you get off by a coat or two, your windshield frame, hinges and tub will all end up being three different shades of green or whatever. About the only thing we did right was to paint the hood separate. For the bolts you can take them all out. Take a 2x4 or something and drill a few rows of holes in it. Prep them like normal. Do you extra ones now too. You should have plenty from those two tubs. It pays to keep a few extra around and you might as well have them color matched.

WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #77
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
In that case im going to change my username to "the guy that wants to beat up mean max due to meaness."
I just saw this post!

OP, the Jeep is looking great! Keep up the good work!

A long time ago I read an article (by Peter Egan) concerning a motorcycle restoration project, he said to try to do something every day for your project, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. He went on to say that his project was "Like pushing a Sherman tank, momentum is everything!

It looks like you've adopted that methodology as well! Good on ya!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #78
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
its cool man. We actually did a pretty crappy job painting it. Lookin back it would have been better to do a frame off but we don't exactly have the equipment for that. We also didn't do the engine bay like you had said and the doors. We only got the outside of them. Usually my dad and I are pretty meticulous (or at least I am) but he seemed pretty set on the way we were gonna paint it so that is how we did it. I didn't really wanna say otherwise cause I have no room to talk. It's not like I am some painting expert or something. Didn't do the roll cage either for some dumb reason. We also did the hinges at a different time than the rest so it came out darker on those parts. Try to keep a count of how many coats you do and keep it the same for all the parts. Once you get off by a coat or two, your windshield frame, hinges and tub will all end up being three different shades of green or whatever. About the only thing we did right was to paint the hood separate. For the bolts you can take them all out. Take a 2x4 or something and drill a few rows of holes in it. Prep them like normal. Do you extra ones now too. You should have plenty from those two tubs. It pays to keep a few extra around and you might as well have them color matched.

thanks man, or use a cardboard box instead of drilling holes in a 2x4 u can just poke holes(im really Lazy). Come on you have to get some updates
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #79
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok. well i have done the cardboard box method to and got lazy on that and used a screwdrive to predrill my holes on that too. haha. i don't know if any of you have seen my other posts but I was having some trouble that turned out to be electrical. I also replaced the starter with one from what is basically my parts engine right now until I can put all the stuff back on it and put it in the jeep. haha.
but the problem was that when I had the jeep running, if I tried to turn on the parking, healights, or inside lights, it would kill the engine. did some searching posting and thinking and tracked it to a ground. didn't actually track it, just started cleaning contacts and grounds till i fixed it. the last one i cleaned was the ground between the block and the body. that seemed to do it. my dad might actually drive it to work tomorrow because my sister's rover is broke. the drivers door handle is somehow broke. don't know if it is the locking mechanism or what but the drivers is the only door with a key slot so if you can't get that open you can't get any open.

I already said about the starter but I had to switch out solenoids too. I had a bad starter and a bad solenoid but they were not together.
Changed the plugs, cap, and rotor . hoping to get some new plug wires and do something about the air cleaner assembly soon. also in the market for some new seats if anyone has suggestions.
i will get pics of my dash and door panels up soon. i don't think i have those up yet.
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #80
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How's this for an update. here are pics of my door panels and dash painting. I will get the finished dash pics up when it's finished. haha. I am waiting till I put in the speakers.

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #81
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^ nice cassette player! lol
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #82
Ditch5610
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
^ nice cassette player! lol
I've got an awesome Whitesnake cassette still lying around
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #83
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch5610 View Post
I've got an awesome Whitesnake cassette still lying around
Thats classic!
Quote:
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #84
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

haha. yeah. i don't think it actually works. i tried to get high tech with my casette player and pop an adapter tape with a 3.5 mm stereo plug on it and it didn't work. I will have to try it with one of my old tapes.
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #85
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Or just get a CD/MP3 player!
Quote:
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #86
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah. that is on the list. I was just trying to scrape by till then with my ipod and the casette adapter.
what kinda stereo setup are you running?
Unread 05-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #87
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think I have a little oil leak near the oil pressure sending unit. My dad has been drivin it to work for the last week or two while we have been workin on my sisters rover and he said it was smokin when he pulled off the highway. I popped the hood and the only thing I could find was some fluid on the firewall end of the valve cover and a spot where a heater hose was touching in that same area. I think the fluid was oil from the crankcase vent. I am pretty sure that is what that thing is. That like 1/2 inch fitting on the back of the valve cover?
Unread 05-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #88
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE TIME:
replaced the wheel cylinders and rear brakes.
Replaced the vacuum lines for the front axle engagement system.
Almost finished painting the dash.
Took the hard top off. Gonna whack the doors soon.
Lookin at a set of TJ sahara seats.
Now that the 4wd is fixed, I'm gonna start pricing lift and tires. Right now I'm thinking RC 4 or 6 and 33's.
Unread 05-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #89
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

for 33s... i say 4" lift.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #90
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to do the 6 and 35's but that probably isn't gonna happen. If I went 35's would I have to do anything to the D35? I am looking to do an 8.8 swap some day. I could do 35's then. But then I would have to probably boost the lift a little so why not do the six now. So many choices. haha.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.