'89 YJ Sahara build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 YJ Sahara build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #46
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
Its because he is useing shutterfly and codes that dont work.

Switch to Photobucket.
Wrong.

It's because he is copying [url] tags & not [img] tags on his images.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #47
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I went out today and messed with it some more. I can't remember everything I did to it but the main things are I tinkered around with checkin wires and such until my mom came out to ask if I was gonna eat today haha and had her turn it over while I aimed the fuel line into a water bottle. So I can confirm that the fuel pump is still good and it's not being impeded by the filter too much. Those are both new so I suspected as much.
Then I continued to mess around. I got kind of tired of getting my butt kicked by the engine so I worked on the dash a little more and cleaned my windows. I wanted to check the spark but didn't think I could get my mom to help me with that one. So I waited until my old man got home.
He finally gets off work and we start workin on it.
Turns out he just bought an inline spark checker which probably would I actually could have gotten my mom take part in. So we get that hooked up and no spark. Track that down to a little wire on the coil and now we have power to the distributor. It starts up while we have the checker in line still and we ran it on that for a minute or two.
Take it out and hook the coil wire back up and nothing. So we are thinking maybe the whole thing was just a loose/bad fitting coil wire.
Spread it out cram it down in the distributor then slide the boot over it. Starts up. Runs. We are geniuses.
Go to drive it. (we did a lot of tests here so it gets a little fuzzy but I will skip straight to how it was when we put it up for the night. Drove it around with the spark checker set up in cylinder one the whole time so if we stalled we could pop the hood and know if we had spark or not.
We were initially able to drive all around the neighborhood if we kept it in like 2nd gear at 1500 and didn't move the gas pedal from there at all.
Then we tried to do some shifting and what not and it stalled.
Before we put it up we took it out again and we could drive it and when we were at a sustained speed lets say 3rd gear and just cruisin. Not accelerating or decelerating, it would be fine going, going, going, then start to buck and sputter and sometimes we could save it by mashing the clutch and trying to feather the gas and what not and other times it would just die.
We messed with the mixture screws at the base and the idle speed screw on the drivers side. We have vacuum on the hose for the vacuum advance if that makes a difference. Just throwin it out there cause I checked that while we had it going.
Please help. I really wanna be able to drive it. I can't stand seeing it sit in the garage all the time.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #48
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. So I have done some more research and am hoping to Nutter it tomorrow.
I believe I have tracked down the wires I need to splice. The twisted pair goes into the loom on the passenger side and I just want to double check that I have the right ones on the other end. They are the same color but no longer twisted. I don't wanna cut into them to check (send voltage down on one end and measure on other) if I am not confident I have the correct wires. Where did they go into the firewall at coming from the distributor? Mine are way over on the drivers side. Going to two plugs that are right next to the hydraulic mess for the clutch and brake.
Also. Coming out of the module under the coolant bottle, the orange and purple wires come out and go into the plug but do not come back out the other side? I just splice in before the plug correct?
I will go out tomorrow and confirm what I have just said and try to upload some pictures. Thanks in advance.
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #49
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So this will be my third try posting the fact that I got it going today and constucted a very redneck fuel tank on my front bumper.
Each time I got to upload the pictures my computer locks up and my two or three paragraph write up gets deleted.
So short and sweet and I'll try to get pics up when Photobucket decides to start working.
It drove today. Got it to idle all day and adjusted it to around 700 or so. Got it up into 5th gear and have been able to rev it up to 2000 or so sustained for quite a while with no major problems to speak of.
Unread 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #50
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heres pics.

Unread 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #51
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Wrong.

It's because he is copying [url] tags & not [img] tags on his images.

Max
meanie.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #52
Nates93yj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
your gunna need that fire extinusher haha with that gas tank. hope you have better luck with the carb or you culd just swap the 4.0L now
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #53
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. We got by without using it. I wish I had time to do the 4.0 swap now. I might end up keeping it and just buying a holley or weber carb. It seems to be running ok now. I mostly just wanted the AX15 that came with it. How much do you think I could get for it?
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #54
Nates93yj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

where do you live in georgia whats the area code or just go to carpart.com. ill try to find you a tranny. around me they range from 250 to 1250.depend what milage you whant but that would not scare me. so just go to car part try to find a tranny for a 1990 so it will just bolt up. because i know 90 has the ax15 not sure what year they started
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #55
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the AX 15 and the 4.0 already. I was just talking with my dad and we considered keeping the tranny and selling the engine. We would replace the BA10 but keep the 4.2. Just something to consider I guess.
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #56
Gorilla_97
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Does the gas tank skid plate come off separate or all together with the tank?

I want to take the skid plate off and clean it up, but my gas tank is currently almost full and I'm worried if I start undoing bolts the weight will cause it to drop off.

BTW - sweet looking ride so far. I just picked up a '91 YJ and have started my build.
Gorilla_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #57
Gorilla_97
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla_97 View Post
Does the gas tank skid plate come off separate or all together with the tank?

I want to take the skid plate off and clean it up, but my gas tank is currently almost full and I'm worried if I start undoing bolts the weight will cause it to drop off.

BTW - sweet looking ride so far. I just picked up a '91 YJ and have started my build.
Nevermind, just found the section in my Haynes manual!
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #58
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. well have fun with it. Is this your first YJ? It's a lot of fun. I see you already have one of the most useful tools in your possession. That Haynes will help you out a lot. If you have any other questions let us know. I'm trying to learn this stuff and your questions will probably help me out. Let me know when you get your thread started. Welcome to the Forum.
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #59
Gorilla_97
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, this is my first YJ but not my first Wrangler. I owned a CJ-7 back in high school and a TJ back in 2001. Just decided to get back into the Jeep Thing and bought the '91 YJ as my play toy. I'm not the world's best mechanic, but I can do most of the work as long as I have the manual to do so.
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #60
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. I hear ya. My dad is a great mechanic so if I have any questions they go straight to him. If you have a floor jack I would slide it under there anyway just to prevent it from falling off. You should have a 20 gallon polypro tank so it shouldn't be that heavy unless full. If it's full just double back the lines and you should be good. There is a breather on the passenger side. Two lines that go into the sending unit and Two lines for the fill neck. I think that's it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.