'89 YJ Sahara build thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '89 YJ Sahara build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #31
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I got the I6 out of the same Cherokee so I would assume that it was the -15. I just asked my dad and he agrees with me. Sorry for the confusion guys. Thanks for putting me back on track. One more question. The EFI I6 from the Cherokee would be a 4.0 instead of the 4.2 correct?

WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #32
Nates93yj
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

yes the renix 4.0L. correct me if im wrong
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #33
YJSlave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Depends on the year 87-90 Renix 91-96 high out-put chrysler injection 96-00 powertech engine might still use chrysler injection
YJSlave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #34
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe it was out of a 94. I'll double check on that. So that would mean that it was the HO Chrysler Injection
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #35
Nates93yj
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

renix was used in the 1987-1990 cherokee.yes then its not the renix, sorry just confused with efi more used to it being called mpi multi port injection. the 1994 cherokee with have the 4.0L High Output MPI.
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #36
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok. thanks guys. I just want to get it in there. haha. I can't wait till its actually able to be a dd
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #37
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to price lift kits cause I won't have time for the engine swap for a while. What are ya'll running or which ones would you recommend. I'm plannin on jackin it up as high as possible. What are your opinions on spring over axle?
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #38
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, just got a new lead on the 4.2 engine ghost. It was doing the same thing as before, ran for ten/twenty seconds or so and then crapped out. Didn't really sputter out like a fuel thing but still seemed that way. Been trying to troubleshoot the carb and fuel pump but the other night I reached over and messed with the coil and distributor and the coil was hot as a firecracker. Let it set for a while till the block had cooled off as well and went back to check it. The coil was as hot or hotter than before. Went out and bought a new coil ($16.00 at Advanced why not). Not the way I like to troubleshoot engine trouble or any other problem but I'm scratching my head as are all my other mechanically inclined friends and even my dad. What do you guys think??? As before its a 4.2 with the carter. New fuel pump and it ran perfectly three weeks ago is the part that really throws a wrench in it.
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Still nothing. I have been tinkering with it all day. Got it to the point that it idles great for about 15 or twenty seconds and then cuts out. Still can't really decide if it is a fuel thing or not because of the way it cuts out. Also when I open up the choke and look down the throat and open the throttle, it only gives me a good squirt of gas every once in a while. It was only me today so I couldn't get a good read on how the fuel pump was doing. I haven't checked the float bowl either. I'm getting really perplexed here. I could use any help you have.
Also there is a small electrical sounding pop every 8 or 9 seconds which seems to be coming from the passenger side of the block near the cab. I can't get a good fix on it and I remember it happening before the new coil as well. Bad resistor??? Bad ground???
Where would I find the resistor anyway?
Unread 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #40
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Have you Nuttered it yet?
Are you running a regulator? The weber only wants 3.5 psi or your asking for trouble.
On a side note my YJ is running great!
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #41
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm happy for you that yours is running and no I haven't nuttered it yet. I'm assuming you have. That's a weber on yours right? I don't wanna upgrade to a new carb cause I am just waiting on time to swap in the 4.0. But that may take a while. Where did you splice into the wires for they nutter? What else is involved with that? Do I need to do anything special with the vacuum lines? Is it just the wires?
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #42
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

do a search on here for the nutter bypass. i don't have the link right now.
Have you checked your fuel pressure? Are you out of gas?
Do the bypass and let us know if it helps.
Unread 03-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #43
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have done a lot of research on the nutter bypass already and just haven't had a good chance to do it. How necessary would it be to reset the timing afterward? I don't have a timing light on me and can't exactly drive down to the parts store to pick one up. I will see what I can do this weekend.
I spent most of today cleaning it up. My friend bought a big tub of these Grime Grabber Wipe things and I just started poking around the engine trying to familiarize myself with it. I just picked a wire or a loom or hose and wiped it down and followed it to the end and checked all the connections and fittings as I went. I covered pretty much the whole thing. I cleaned up a bunch of connections and tightened some clamps. identified the wires i need to splice for the nutter now that i got the oil and crap off everything. and then after i hooked everying back up i got it started. went and drove it around. it died on me and my dad but we got it started agian. we gimped it home. had to keep it kinda wrapped up around 2000 rpm so once it was in the drive way and running i got a screw driver and played with the idle speed and the mixture screws. hopefully that fixed it.
had to take the old man out for his birthday dinner so didn't get to do another test run.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #44
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Yes you must reset the timing after doing the Nutter. Go to your local auto parts store and borrow or rent a timing light.
If you were closer i'd give you a hand.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #45
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Heres a pic of the engine we bought from a roll over cherokee. We also got his Aisin Warner transmission. Not sure if it's the AX5 or AX15 though. We got it in the back of the truck using the lift at the shop of the place we bought it from. But we didn't have a way to get it out of the back of the truck.
We drilled to holes in the ceiling and looped a big chain around the rafters/floor joists of the attic above and hooked a come along up to it.

sorry I can't post images yet. Still don't have the requisite number of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Heres the pics of my dash so far. I should hopefully be finishing them up today. My friend is coming over and I picked up another can of Vinyl and Fabric paint last time my dad and I were out and about. I'm hoping it will be warm enough, because last time I tried it was getting a little chilly, the forecast for today is supposed to be like 70 something.

Your pics need [img] HTML tags, not [url] tags.

The 6 pics in the second quote have incomplete tag info.

At least 1 is clicky-free fer ya!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.